Life Expectancy, Schooling Time, Retirement, and Growth
AbstractI analyze how changes in life expectancy affect retirement age, education time, and growth rates of economies. I set up a continuous time, overlapping generations model of endogenous growth with externalities in human capital production. I find that increases in life expectancy give rise to first, higher retirement ages and second, higher education spans. A threshold level for life expectancy exists such that per capita growth rates follow an inverted U pattern. (JEL D9, E17, I29, J24) Copyright 2004, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Economic Inquiry.
Volume (Year): 42 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://ei.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D9 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice and Growth
- E17 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- I29 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Other
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bo Malmberg & Eva Andersson & S V Subramanian, 2010. "Links between ill health and regional economic performance: evidence from Swedish longitudinal data," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 42(5), pages 1210-1220, May.
- Echevarría Olave, Cruz Angel & Iza Padilla, María Amaya, 2006.
"Life Expectancy, Human Capital, Social Security and Growth,"
DFAEII Working Papers
2005-17, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Echevarria, Cruz A. & Iza, Amaia, 2006. "Life expectancy, human capital, social security and growth," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(12), pages 2323-2349, December.
- Azomahou, Théophile & Boucekkine, Raouf & Diene, Bity, 2008.
"A Closer Look at the Relationship Between Life Expectancy and Economic Growth,"
UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series
027, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Théophile T. Azomahou & Raouf Boucekkine & Bity Diene, 2009. "A closer look at the relationship between life expectancy and economic growth," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 5(2), pages 201-244.
- Raouf, BOUCEKKINE & Bity, DIENE & Théophile, AZOMAHOU, 2007. "A closer look at the relationship between life expectancy and economic growth," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2007043, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Bity Diene & Theophile Azomahou, 2007. "A closer look at the relationship between life expectancy and economic growth," Working Papers 2007_24, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- AZOMAHOU, Théophile T. & BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & DIENE, Bity, . "A closer look at the relationship between life expectancy and economic growth," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2115, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Nina Boberg-Fazlic, 2012. "Longevity and Schooling: The Case of Retirement," Discussion Papers 12-15, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Heijdra, Ben J. & Romp, Ward E., 2009. "Human capital formation and macroeconomic performance in an ageing small open economy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 725-744, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.