Profit Sharing, Wage Bargaining, and Unemployment
AbstractThis paper examines the effects of profit sharing in an economy with decentralized wage bargaining. Profit sharing makes workers' income more sensitive to wage changes, and this leads to wage moderation. But economywide profit sharing may also improve workers' outside income opportunities, and this strengthens the union's hand in bargaining and tends to raise wages. It turns out that equilibrium unemployment is reduced by profit sharing as long as the elasticity of substitution between labor and capital is less than one, whereas unemployment is increased if the elasticity of substitution is greater than one. Copyright 1990 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Economic Inquiry.
Volume (Year): 28 (1990)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://ei.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- George J. Bratsiotis, 2005.
"Influential Price and Wage Setters, Monetary Policy and Real Effects,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
0540, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Bratsiotis, George J., 2008. "Influential price and wage setters, monetary policy and real effects," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 503-517, June.
- G J Bratsiotis, 2005. "Influential Price and Wage Setters, Monetary Policy and Real Effects," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 63, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Koskela, Erkki & König, Jan, 2011. "The Role of Profit Sharing in Dual Labour Markets with Flexible Outsourcing," IZA Discussion Papers 5798, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jürgen Jerger & Jochen Michaelis, 2010.
"The Fixed Wage Puzzle: Why Profit Sharing Is So Hard to Implement,"
MAGKS Papers on Economics
201013, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Jerger, Jürgen & Michaelis, Jochen, 2011. "The fixed wage puzzle: Why profit sharing is so hard to implement," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 104-106, February.
- Jerger , Jürgen & Michaelis, Jochen, 2010. "The Fixed Wage Puzzle: Why Profit Sharing Is So Hard to Implement," University of Regensburg Working Papers in Business, Economics and Management Information Systems 441, University of Regensburg, Department of Economics.
- Jürgen Jerger & Jochen Michaelis, 2010. "The Fixed Wage Puzzle : Why Profit Sharing Is So Hard to Implement," Working Papers 283, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- Jan König & Erkki Koskela, 2011. "Does International Outsourcing Really Lower Workers’ Income?," Journal of Labor Research, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 21-38, March.
- Schob, Ronnie, 2002.
"Public Profit Sharing,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(4), pages 523-41.
- Koskela, Erkki & Stenbacka, Rune, 2004. "Profit Sharing, Credit Market Imperfections and Equilibrium Unemployment," IZA Discussion Papers 1020, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Erkki Koskela & Rune Stenbacka, 2004. "Equilibrium unemployment under negotiated profit sharing," Labor and Demography 0404009, EconWPA.
- Erkki Koskela & Rune Stenbacka, 2002. "Equilibrium Unemployment and Credit Market Imperfections: The Critical Role of Labour Mobility," CESifo Working Paper Series 654, CESifo Group Munich.
- Koskela, Erkki & Stenbacka, Rune, 2003. "Profit Sharing and Unemployment: An Approach with Bargaining and Efficiency Wage Economics," Discussion Papers 863, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.