Cross-covariance functions for multivariate random fields based on latent dimensions
AbstractThe problem of constructing valid parametric cross-covariance functions is challenging. We propose a simple methodology, based on latent dimensions and existing covariance models for univariate random fields, to develop flexible, interpretable and computationally feasible classes of cross-covariance functions in closed form. We focus on spatio-temporal cross-covariance functions that can be nonseparable, asymmetric and can have different covariance structures, for instance different smoothness parameters, in each component. We discuss estimation of these models and perform a small simulation study to demonstrate our approach. We illustrate our methodology on a trivariate spatio-temporal pollution dataset from California and demonstrate that our cross-covariance performs better than other competing models. Copyright 2010, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Biometrika Trust in its journal Biometrika.
Volume (Year): 97 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://biomet.oxfordjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Li, Yuqiang & Xiao, Yimin, 2011. "Multivariate operator-self-similar random fields," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 121(6), pages 1178-1200, June.
- Porcu, Emilio & Zastavnyi, Viktor, 2011. "Characterization theorems for some classes of covariance functions associated to vector valued random fields," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 102(9), pages 1293-1301, October.
- S. De Iaco & M. Palma & D. Posa, 2013. "Prediction of particle pollution through spatio-temporal multivariate geostatistical analysis: spatial special issue," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer, vol. 97(2), pages 133-150, April.
- Li, Bo & Zhang, Hao, 2011. "An approach to modeling asymmetric multivariate spatial covariance structures," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 102(10), pages 1445-1453, November.
- Jun, Mikyoung, 2014. "Matérn-based nonstationary cross-covariance models for global processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 128(C), pages 134-146.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.