Combining Risk Assessment and Economics in Managing a Sanitary-Phytosanitary Risk
AbstractThe Agreement on the Application of Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS) Measures provides guidelines for countries to protect domestic production from pests and diseases. The guidelines permit consideration of consumer welfare. We find an optimal set of SPS measures considering total welfare and mitigation strategies. Our model suggests that it is optimal and less restrictive to apply mitigation strategies first and then an additional smaller tariff if necessary. Relative cost of mitigation determines the amount of the mitigation strategies applied in the importing and exporting countries. Copyright 2006, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 88 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Frank van Tongeren & John Beghin & Stéphane Marette, 2009.
"A Cost-Benefit Framework for the Assessment of Non-Tariff Measures in Agro-Food Trade,"
OECD Food, Agriculture and Fisheries Papers
21, OECD Publishing.
- van Tongeren, Frank & Beghin, John C. & Marette, Stephan, 2009. "A Cost-Benefit Framework for the Assessment of Non-Tariff Measures in Agro-Food Trade," Staff General Research Papers 13146, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Ferrier, Peyton, 2010. "Irradiation as a quarantine treatment," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 548-555, December.
- Olson, Lars J. & Roy, Santanu, 2008.
"Dynamic Sanitary and Phytosanitary Trade Policy,"
43395, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Lawley, Chad, 2008. "Non-indigenous Species and Preemptive Trade Policy," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6111, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Rickard, Bradley J. & Lei, Lei, 2010. "How important are sanitary and phytosanitary barriers in international markets for fresh fruit?," Working Papers 126974, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Schlueter, Simon W. & Wieck, Christine & Heckelei, Thomas, 2009. "Regulatory SPS instruments in meat trade," Discussion Papers 56972, University of Bonn, Institute for Food and Resource Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.