Constrained Efficient Contracts for Area Yield Crop Insurance
AbstractWith area yield crop insurance, indemnification occurs when area yield falls below a yield trigger that is chosen by the producer. The maximum value for this yield trigger is generally restricted (e.g., 80% of the long term area average yield). The impact of this trigger constraint on the optimal design of an area yield insurance contract is examined. Within the constrained efficient contract, indemnities consist of both a lump sum payment and a payment that is proportional to the yield shortfall. Because lump sum payments may not be feasible to implement, efficiency-enhancing modifications to standard contracts are also proposed. Copyright 2000, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 82 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mahul, Olivier, 2002. "Hedging Price Risk in the Presence of Crop Yield and Revenue Insurance," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24881, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Zant, Wouter, 2008. "Hot Stuff: Index Insurance for Indian Smallholder Pepper Growers," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 1585-1606, September.
- Hennessy, David A. & Saak, Alexander E. & Babcock, Bruce A., 2003. "Fair Value Of Whole-Farm And Crop-Specific Revenue Insurance," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21988, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Anderson, Jock R., 2003. "Risk in rural development: challenges for managers and policy makers," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 75(2-3), pages 161-197.
- Carriquiry, Miguel A. & Babcock, Bruce A. & Hart, Chad E., 2008.
"Using a Farmer's Beta for Improved Estimation of Expected Yields,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(01), April.
- Carriquiry, Miguel A. & Babcock, Bruce A. & Hart, Chad E., 2008. "Using a Farmer's Beta for Improved Estimation of Expected Yields," Staff General Research Papers 12937, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Mahul, Olivier, 2002. "Hedging Price Risk In The Presence Of Crop Yield And Revenue Insurance," 2002 Conference, April 22-23, 2002, St. Louis, Missouri 19070, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.