The Logic of Testing Structural Change in Meat Demand: A Methodological Analysis and Appraisal
AbstractIn the past two decades, the profession has expended valuable resources testing structural change in meat demand with mixed results. Overlooked to date is a fundamental methodological problem that transcends all methods of testing for structural change. In this study, a methodological framework is used to show that there is no valid test of structural change. Because of this result, additional criteria from the methodology literature are used to evaluate the literature on structural change in meat demand and to provide suggestions for fertile areas of future research. Copyright 1997, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 79 (1997)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- William G. Tomek & Harry M. Kaiser, 1999.
"On improving econometric analyses of generic advertising impacts,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 485-500.
- Tomek, William G. & Kaiser, Harry M., 1999. "On Improving Econometric Analyses Of Generic Advertising Impacts," Working Papers 14755, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Tomek, William G., 2000. "Commodity Prices Revisited," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 29(2), October.
- Holt, Matthew T. & Balagtas, Joseph V., 2009.
"Estimating Structural Change with Smooth Transition Regressions: an Application to Meat Demand,"
15331, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Matthew T. Holt & Joseph V. Balagtas, 2009. "Estimating Structural Change with Smooth Transition Regressions: An Application to Meat Demand," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1424-1431.
- Hussein, Zekarias & Rodriguez, Nestor & Eales, James S., 2013. "STARs with the GIDDS: Smooth Transition Functions and Structural Change," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150755, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Davis, George C., 2004. "The Structure of Models: Understanding Theory Reduction and Testing with a Production Example," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(01), April.
- Zhen, Chen & Wohlgenant, Michael K., 2005.
"Meat Demand under Rational Habit Persistence,"
2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI
19145, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Chen Zhen & Michael K. Wohlgenant, 2006. "Meat Demand under Rational Habit Persistence," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 54(4), pages 477-495, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.