FLC Usage Among California Growers under IRCA: An Empirical Analysis of Farm Labor Market Risk Management
AbstractRecent immigration reform efforts have been ineffective at controlling the flow of illegal immigration. Concurrently, a structural change occured in the agricultural sector as farm labor contractor (FLC) usage expanded. The FLC sector is, arguably, evolving due to the tighter regulatory and risk environment faced by producers. Using probit analysis of survey data from California growers, this study analyzes labor contracting patterns. Differences are found among regions, commodities, and several grower characteristics. However, the significant role of risk perceptions and management attitudes are of greatest interest given the absence of labor issues in agricultural risk management programs. Copyright 1996, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 78 (1996)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Susan M. Richter & J. Edward Taylor & Antonio Yúnez-Naude, 2007.
"Impacts of Policy Reforms on Labor Migration from Rural Mexico to the United States,"
in: Mexican Immigration to the United States, pages 269-288
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Susan M. Richter & J. Edward Taylor & Antonio Naude, 2005. "Impacts of Policy Reforms on Labor Migration From Rural Mexico to the United States," NBER Working Papers 11428, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Murray-Prior, Roy B. & Wright, Vic, 2001. "Influence of strategies and heuristics on farmers’ response to change under uncertainty," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 45(4), December.
- Murray-Prior, Roy B. & Wright, Vic, 2004. "Use of strategies and decision rules by Australian wool producers to manage uncertainty," AFBM Journal, Australasian Farm Business Management Network, vol. 1.
- Martin, Philip L. & Taylor, J. Edward, 2003. "Farm Employment, Immigration, and Poverty: A Structural Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(02), August.
- Pennings, Joost M.E. & Irwin, Scott H. & Good, Darrel L., 1999. "Surveying Farmers: A Research Note," AgMAS Project Research Reports 14781, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.