Hedging with Crop Yield Futures: A Mean-Variance Analysis
AbstractThis investigation into the use of new Chicago Board of Trade yield futures to manage price and yield risks shows that a risk-minimizing firm can reduce its variance of profit by hedging in both markets compared to hedging in price futures only. The greater the variance of the contract underlying yield, the less effective the two-instrument hedge. Hedging effectiveness of the dual strategy also depends on the price and yield bases, and the effect of a change in either basis depends on whether the established crop yield futures position is short or long. Copyright 1996, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 78 (1996)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tomek, William G. & Peterson, Hikaru Hanawa, 2000.
"Risk Management In Agricultural Markets: A Survey,"
2000 Producer marketing and Risk Management Conference, January 13-14, Orlando, FL
19580, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Donald Lien, 2004. "A Note on Dual Hedging," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 3(1), pages 29-34, April.
- Yun, Won-Cheol & Jae Kim, Hyun, 2010. "Hedging strategy for crude oil trading and the factors influencing hedging effectiveness," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 2404-2408, May.
- Haigh, Michael S. & Holt, Matthew T., 1999.
"Volatility Spillovers Between Foreign Exchange, Commodity And Freight Futures Prices: Implications For Hedging Strategies,"
1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN
21625, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Haigh, Michael S. & Holt, Matthew T., 1999. "Volatility Spillovers Between Foreign Exchange, Commodity And Freight Futures Prices: Implications For Hedging Strategies," Faculty Paper Series 23997, Texas A&M University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Phelippe-Guinvarc'h, Martial V. & Cordier, Jean E., 2006. "A private management strategy for the crop yield insurer: A theoretical approach and tests," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 35-46, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.