How Did the Global Financial Crisis Affect the CESEE Region and Latin America? – A Comparative Analysis
AbstractThis paper examines the impact the global economic and financial crisis had on two distinct emerging market regions, namely Central, Eastern and Southeastern Europe (CESEE) and Latin America. Similar to other emerging economies, both regions were initially surprisingly resilient as the crisis gathered momentum. They were, however, both strongly affected by the sharp retrenchment in capital inflows and the collapse of global demand that followed the demise of Lehman Brothers in September 2008. Notwithstanding differences in the channels of transmission and the intensity of the propagation, the short-term outcome in 2009 was similar for both regions: one of the deepest recessions in decades. At the same time, the worst case scenario of a fully-fledged financial meltdown occurred neither in the CESEE region nor in Latin America.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank) in its journal Focus on European Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Postal: Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Documentation Management and Communications Services, Otto-Wagner Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- H30 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wörz, Julia & Walch, Nadja, 2012. "The Impact of Country Risk Ratings and of the Status of EU Integration on FDI Inflows in CESEE Countries," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 3.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Birgit Riedler).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.