Deferred Tax Positions And Incentives For Corporate Behavior Around Corporate Tax Changes
AbstractA firm’s deferred tax position can influence how it is affected by a transition from one tax regime to another. We compile disaggregated deferred tax position data for a sample of large U.S. firms between 1993 and 2004 to explore how these positions might affect firm behavior before and after a pre-announced change in the statutory corporate tax rate. Our results suggest that the heterogeneous deferred tax positions of large U.S. corporations create substantial variation in the short-run effects of tax rate changes on reported earnings. Recognizing these divergent incentives is important for understanding the political economy of corporate tax reform.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by National Tax Association in its journal National Tax Journal.
Volume (Year): 64 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Myron S. Scholes & G. Peter Wilson & Mark A. Wolfson, 1992. "Firms' Responses to Anticipated Reductions in Tax Rates: The Tax Reform Act of 1986," NBER Working Papers 4171, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Shackelford & Joel Slemrod & James Sallee, 2011. "Financial reporting, tax, and real decisions: toward a unifying framework," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 461-494, August.
- Mills, Lillian F., 2006. "Five Things Economists and Lawyers Can Learn from Accountants: An Illustration Using the Domestic Production Activities Deduction," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 59(3), pages 585-97, September.
- James Poterba & Nirupama Rao & Jeri Seidman, 2007. "Deferred Tax Positions and Incentives for Corporate Behavior Around Corporate Tax Changes," NBER Working Papers 12923, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Plesko, George A., 2004. "Corporate Tax Avoidance and the Properties of Corporate Earnings," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 57(3), pages 729-37, September.
- John Graham & Jana Raedy & Douglas Shackelford, 2010.
"Research in Accounting for Income Taxes,"
NBER Working Papers
15665, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charmaine Wright).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.