Transfers to the government of public corporation pension liabilities: The French case study
AbstractLump sum payments in compensation for the transfer to the Government of pension liabilities are one of the main categories of one-off budgetary measures that have developed in Europe over the recent years. These operations have been the most frequent in France, because of the various special employer schemes existing in the public sector. As pension systems and accounting standards are being reformed and former public companies are being privatized, adjustments seemed necessary. The paper studies the treatment of such measures in national accounts and reviews the different transactions implemented in France since 1997 and the various impacts on public finances. It assesses the risk of budgetary losses for the French government due to unexpected developments in the different parameters used for the calculation of the lump sums. Stress tests show that these risks are very limited, especially with the perspective of an increase in the contribution period that will apply to all pension schemes. Moreover, these operations were a prerequisite for a reform of the French public sector, enabling the deregulation of markets and increasing potential output in the medium term.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary) in its journal MNB Conference Volume.
Volume (Year): 1 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (December)
pension liabilities; lump sum payment; fiscal sustainability; France.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H60 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - General
- M48 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Government Policy and Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fabrizio Balassone & Daniele Franco & Stefania Zotteri, 2007. "The Reliability of EMU FIscal Indicators: Risks and Safeguards," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 633, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Gábor P. Kiss, 2007. "One-off and off-budget items: An alternative approach," MNB Conference Volume, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary), vol. 1(1), pages 18-27, December.
- Eich, Frank, 2009. "Public sector pensions: Rationale and international experiences," EconStor Preprints 54560, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- Gábor P. Kiss, 2011. "Moving target indication: Fiscal indicators employed by the Magyar Nemzeti Bank," MNB Occasional Papers 2011/92, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanna Jeney).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.