Endogenous Tariffs in the Presence of Multinationals
AbstractThis paper analyzes the effect of the presence of multinational firms on endogenous tariff rates, using an analytically solvable two-country model with fixed terms of trade. Noncooperative tariffs are lower in the presence of market-seeking (horizontal) foreign direct investment (FDI). Such firms avoid trade and entail a loss of tariff revenues for importing countries. In the case of low-cost-seeking (vertical) FDI, the results are less clear-cut and the noncooperative tariff rate can turn out to be a subsidy. The world-welfare-maximizing policy is an import subsidy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen in its journal Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics.
Volume (Year): 164 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mohr.de/jite
Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cole, Matthew T. & Davies, Ronald B., 2011. "Strategic tariffs, tariff jumping, and heterogeneous firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 480-496, May.
- Matthew T. Cole (University College Dublin) Ronald B. Davies (University College Dublin), 2009.
"Optimal Tariffs, Tariff Jumping, and Heterogeneous Firms,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Matthew T Cole & Ronald B Davies, 2009. "Optimal Tariffs, Tariff Jumping, and Heterogeneous Firms," Working Papers 200919, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.