Mortgage Default and Possession under Recourse: A Competing Hazards Approach
AbstractRecent studies by Ambrose, Buttimer, and Capone have stressed the fact that lender and borrower decisions after the initial default on a mortgage may significantly affect the amount and timing of recoveries and hence, more broadly, the value and riskiness of mortgage loan portfolios. This study uses microeconomic data from the UK to examine the timing decisions of mortgage lenders and borrowers when mortgages are in default. The results suggest that salary and interest rates influence timing decisions more than loan-to-value ratios do and that lenders and borrowers accelerate the resolution of delinquent mortgages as the economic climate deteriorates.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 35 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Janine Aron & John Muellbauer, 2010.
"Modelling and Forecasting UK Mortgage Arrears and Possessions,"
Economics Series Working Papers
499, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Janine Aron & John Muellbauer, 2010. "Modelling and Forecasting UK Mortgage Arrears and Possessions," SERC Discussion Papers 0052, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Aron, Janine & Muellbauer, John, 2010. "Modelling and Forecasting UK Mortgage Arrears and Possessions," CEPR Discussion Papers 7986, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Danis, Michelle A. & Pennington-Cross, Anthony, 2008.
"The delinquency of subprime mortgages,"
Journal of Economics and Business,
Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 67-90.
- Anthony Pennington-Cross, 2006.
"The duration of foreclosures in the subprime mortgage market: a competing risks model with mixing,"
2006-027, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Anthony Pennington-Cross, 2010. "The Duration of Foreclosures in the Subprime Mortgage Market: A Competing Risks Model with Mixing," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 109-129, February.
- Sarah W. Carroll & Wenli Li, 2008. "The homeownership experience of households in bankruptcy," Working Papers 08-14, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Nikola Kojucharov & Clyde F. Martin & Robert F. Martin & Lili Xu, 2009. "The subprime mortgage crisis: irrational exuberance or rational error?," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jan.
- Theresa Kuchler & Johannes Stroebel, 2009. "Foreclosure and Bankruptcy--Policy Conclusions from the Current Crisis," Discussion Papers 08-037, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Tsai, Ming-Shann & Liao, Szu-Lang & Chiang, Shu-Ling, 2009. "Analyzing yield, duration and convexity of mortgage loans under prepayment and default risks," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 92-103, June.
- Michelle A. Danis & Anthony Pennington-Cross, 2005. "A dynamic look at subprime loan performance," Working Papers 2005-029, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.