Variability in the Effects of Monetary Policy on Economic Activity
AbstractThis paper documents and interprets the variability in the effects of monetary policy on economic activity using the method of rolling vector autoregression and United States data from 1959:01 to 1994:12. While I find robust support for short-run price stickiness and long-run output neutrality, I also find that the responses of output and price levels to monetary shocks are otherwise quite variable. Seven episodes of differing responses are identified. The effects of monetary policy are found to be stronger when monetary shocks are negative, and are related to some gradual changes in the economy.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 32 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jose de Gregorio & Oscar Landerretche & Christopher Neilson, 2007.
"Another Pass-Through Bites the Dust? Oil Prices and Inflation,"
Journal of LACEA Economia,
LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- José De Gregorio & Oscar Landerretche & Christopher Neilson, 2007. "Another Pass-Through Bites The Dust? Oil Prices And Inflation," Working Papers wp238, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Jose De Gregorio. & Oscar Landerretche. & Christopher Neilson., 2007. "Another Pass-Through Bites the Dust? Oil Prices and Inflation," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 417, Central Bank of Chile.
- Francisco Nadal De Simone, 2001. "Inflation Forecasting in Chile," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 4(3), pages 59-85, December.
- P N Snowden & M A Salisu & N Taher, 2000. "Oiling the wheels: credit and monetary neutrality in Saudi Arabia," Working Papers 539748, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Dufrenot, Gilles & Mignon, Valerie & Peguin-Feissolle, Anne, 2004. "Business cycles asymmetry and monetary policy: a further investigation using MRSTAR models," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 37-71, January.
- Pablo Pincheira B & Álvaro García M, 2007.
"Oil Shocks and Inflation The Case Of Chile and a Sample of Industrial Countries,"
Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy),
Central Bank of Chile, vol. 10(1), pages 5-36, April.
- Pablo Pincheira & Álvaro García, 2007. "Oil Shocks and Inflation The Case of Chile and a Sample of Industrial Countries," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 413, Central Bank of Chile.
- Farzanegan, Mohammad Reza & Markwardt, Gunther, 2009.
"The effects of oil price shocks on the Iranian economy,"
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 134-151, January.
- Farzanegan, Mohammad Reza & Markwardt, Gunther, 2008. "The effects of oil price shocks on the Iranian economy," Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics 15/08, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Pedro Raffy Vartanian, 2008. "Choques monetários e cambiais sob regimes de câmbio flutuante nos países membros do Mercosul: há indícios de convergência macroeconômica?," Anais do XXXVI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 36th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 200807211410580, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Apergis, Nicholas & Miller, Stephen, 2004. "Macroeconomic rationality and Lucas' misperceptions model: further evidence from 41 countries," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 227-241.
- Gilles DUFRENOT & Val=E9rie MIGNON & Anne PEGUIN-FEISSOLE, 2003. "Business cycles asymmetry and monetary policy: a further investigatio= n=20 using MRSTAR models," Macroeconomics 0309002, EconWPA.
- Østrup, Finn, 2006. "The Choice of Monetary Regime," Working Papers 2005-2, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Finance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.