Some Evidence of Speculative Bubbles in the Foreign Exchange Markets
AbstractThe authors propose that the poor performance of portfolio models is due to their exclusion of speculative bubbles. They suggest a new unce rtainty-bubble solution (as opposed to a risk-bubble solution). Discr etion is minimized because the trend of the bubble is an exact functi on of the structural parameters. For three exchange rates, the bubble -augmented portfolio model passes the usual statistical tests and per forms better than its VAR equivalent in out-of-sample dynamic simulat ion. When the model was reestimated with the bubbles removed, and wit h ordinary dummies in place of the constrained trend, the parameter e stimates were invariably insignificant. Copyright 1987 by Ohio State University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 19 (1987)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zhou, Wei-Xing & Sornette, Didier, 2009. "A case study of speculative financial bubbles in the South African stock market 2003–2006," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 388(6), pages 869-880.
- D. Sornette & A. Johansen, 2001. "Significance of log-periodic precursors to financial crashes," Papers cond-mat/0106520, arXiv.org.
- Ithurbide, Philippe, 1987. "Le marché de l’or et les bulles rationnelles," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 63(4), pages 331-356, dÃ©cembre.
- David Archer, 2005. "Foreign exchange market intervention: methods and tactics," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Foreign exchange market intervention in emerging markets: motives, techniques and implications, volume 24, pages 40-55 Bank for International Settlements.
- Wing Woo, 2004.
"Some Fundamental Inadequacies of the Washington Consensus: Misunderstanding the Poor by the Brightest,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Wing Woo, 2004. "Some Fundamental Inadequacies of the Washington Consensus: Misunderstanding the Poor by the Brightest," Development and Comp Systems 0411020, EconWPA.
- Kirman, Alan & Teyssiere, Gilles, 2005. "Testing for bubbles and change-points," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 765-799, April.
- D. Sornette & W. -X. Zhou, 2003. "Evidence of Fueling of the 2000 New Economy Bubble by Foreign Capital Inflow: Implications for the Future of the US Economy and its Stock Market," Papers cond-mat/0306496, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.