The Effect of Ownership Rights on Urban Households' Access to Credit in Lahore
AbstractLand titling and ownership rights have recently been advocated in policy circles as a powerful tool for poverty reduction. The lack of formal titling prevents the use of property as collateral, and hence prevents the capital embedded in these assets from being "unlocked." Some studies show a fairly insignificant relationship between informal loans and property rights, while others indicate a significant positive relationship between formal loans (credit cards, bank loans, etc.) and land ownership. The objective of this article is to look at the impact of owned titled land on formal and informal loans among urban households in Lahore. Here, formal loans are seen in terms of bank loans and credit cards while informal loans are characterized as loans taken from relatives, friends, or local moneylenders. The findings suggest that land ownership has a positive and significant relationship with formal loans but no relationship with either bank loans or informal loans alone.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics in its journal Lahore Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 16 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (Jul-Dec)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Intersection Main Boulevard Phase VI DHA and Burki Road, Lahore
Phone: (92-42) 6560939
Web page: http://www.lahoreschoolofeconomics.edu.pk/EconomicsJournal/LJEIntro.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Property rights; land ownership; credit access; formal loans; urban households.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q15 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Land Ownership and Tenure; Land Reform; Land Use; Irrigation; Agriculture and Environment
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- D14 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Household Saving; Personal Finance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon Johnson & John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 2002.
"Property Rights and Finance,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1335-1356, December.
- Galiani, Sebastian & Schargrodsky, Ernesto, 2010.
"Property rights for the poor: Effects of land titling,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 94(9-10), pages 700-729, October.
- Sebastian Galiani & Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2010. "Property Rights for the Poor: Effects of Land Titling," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0103, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Sebastian Galiani & Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2005. "Property Rights for the Poor: Effects of Land Titling," Business School Working Papers proprightspoor, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Wette, Hildegard C, 1983. "Collateral in Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information: Note," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(3), pages 442-45, June.
- Joseph Hayes & Michael Roth & Lydia Zepeda, 1997. "Tenure Security, Investment and Productivity in Gambian Agriculture: A Generalized Probit Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 369-382.
- Deininger, Klaus & Feder, Gershon, 1998.
"Land institutions and land markets,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2014, The World Bank.
- Frank Place & S. E. Migot-Adholla, 1998.
"The Economic Effects of Land Registration on Smallholder Farms in Kenya: Evidence from Nyeri and Kakamega Districts,"
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 74(3), pages 360-373.
- Frank Place & S. E. Migot-Adholla, 1997. "The Economic Effects of Land Registration on Smallholder Farms in Kenya: Evidence from Nyeri and Kakamega Districts," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 73(3), pages 360-373.
- Carter, Michael R. & Olinto, Pedro, 2000.
"Getting Institutions 'Right' for Whom: Credit Constraints and the Impact of Property Rights on the Quantity and Compostiton of Investment,"
Staff Paper Series
433, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Michael R. Carter & Pedro Olinto, 2003. "Getting Institutions “Right” for Whom? Credit Constraints and the Impact of Property Rights on the Quantity and Composition of Investment," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 173-186.
- MICHAEL R. CARTER & Pedro Olinto, 2000. "Getting Institutions 'Right' for Whom: Credit Constraints and the Impact of Property Rights on the Quantity and Compostiton of Investment," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 433, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Brasselle, Anne-Sophie & Gaspart, Frederic & Platteau, Jean-Philippe, 2002. "Land tenure security and investment incentives: puzzling evidence from Burkina Faso," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 373-418, April.
- Alston, Lee J & Libecap, Gary D & Schneider, Robert, 1996.
"The Determinants and Impact of Property Rights: Land Titles on the Brazilian Frontier,"
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization,
Oxford University Press, vol. 12(1), pages 25-61, April.
- Lee J. Alston & Gary D. Libecap & Robert Schneider, 1996. "The Determinants and Impact of Property Rights: Land Titles on the Brazilian Frontier," NBER Working Papers 5405, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- de Laiglesia, Juan R., 2005. "Investment and credit effects of land titling and registration:," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Kiel 2005 10, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Petracco, Carly K. & Pender, John, 2009.
"Evaluating the impact of land tenure and titling on access to credit in Uganda:,"
IFPRI discussion papers
853, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Petracco, Carly K. & Pender, John L., 2009. "Evaluating the Impact of Land Tenure and Titling on Access to Credit in Uganda," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51899, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Pender, John L. & Kerr, John M., 1999. "The effects of land sales restrictions: evidence from south India," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 21(3), pages 279-294, December.
- Paul Dower & Elizabeth Potamites, 2010.
"Signaling Credit-Worthiness: Land Titles, Banking Practices and Access to Formal Credit in Indonesia,"
w0155, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Dower, Paul & Potamites, Elizabeth, 2005. "Signaling Credit-Worthiness: Land Titles, Banking Practices and Access to Formal Credit in Indonesia," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19120, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Besley, Timothy, 1995. "Property Rights and Investment Incentives: Theory and Evidence from Ghana," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(5), pages 903-37, October.
- Erica Field, 2005. "Property Rights and Investment in Urban Slums," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 3(2-3), pages 279-290, 04/05.
- Field, Erica Marie, 2005. "Property Rights and Investment in Urban Slums," Scholarly Articles 3634150, Harvard University Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shahid Salahuddin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.