Density estimation through quasi-analytic Monte-Carlo simulation: Options arbitrage with transactions costs
AbstractDiscretely rebalanced options arbitrage strategies in the presence of transaction costs have path dependent returns that are difficult to model analytically. I instead use a quasi-analytic procedure that combines the computational efficiency of analytical solutions with the flexibility of simulations. The central feature is the estimation of the distribution of returns of the arbitrage strategy by mapping simulated returns percentiles and the input parameter set. Using the estimated density, I evaluate the tradeoff between transaction costs and risk exposure under generalized transaction costs structures that includes bid-ask spread and brokerage commission. I show that the optimal strategy depends on transaction costs, volatility, and option moneyness. Strategies such as rebalancing when the hedge ratio changes by 0.25, balances transaction costs and risk exposure, and can be optimal. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting.
Volume (Year): 28 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=102990
Rebalancing; Discrete; Frequency; Options arbitrage; Density estimation; Transactions cost;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hayne E. Leland., 1984.
"Option Pricing and Replication with Transactions Costs,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
144, University of California at Berkeley.
- Leland, Hayne E, 1985. " Option Pricing and Replication with Transactions Costs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(5), pages 1283-1301, December.
- Boyle, Phelim P & Vorst, Ton, 1992. " Option Replication in Discrete Time with Transaction Costs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(1), pages 271-93, March.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Figlewski, Stephen, 1989. " Options Arbitrage in Imperfect Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(5), pages 1289-1311, December.
- Russell P. Robins & Barry Schachter, 1994. "An Analysis of the Risk in Discretely Rebalanced Option Hedges and Delta-Based Techniques," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(6), pages 798-808, June.
- Brennan, M J, 1979. "The Pricing of Contingent Claims in Discrete Time Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(1), pages 53-68, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.