An Analysis of the State of Competition in Long-Distance Telephone Markets
AbstractIn this paper, we examine seven indicia of the effect of regulated competition in long-distance telecommunications. The evidence we have examined suggests that regulation or the threat of antitrust intervention are the major factors which constrain AT&T's prices to small customers. We conclude that small customers have yet to enjoy the full benefits of competition in long distance. Copyright 1997 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Regulatory Economics.
Volume (Year): 11 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100298
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- C F Elliott & M Z Acutt, 2001. "Threat-based regulation and endogenously determined punishments," Working Papers 539877, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Acutt, Melinda & Elliott, Caroline & Robinson, Terry, 2001. "Credible regulatory threats," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 911-916, September.
- Melinda Acutt & Caroline Elliott, 2001. "Threat-Based Competition Policy," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 309-317, May.
- White, Lawrence J., 2000. "US telephone deregulation: lessons to be learned, mistakes to be avoided," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 173-183, May.
- Caroline Elliott & Melinda Acutt, 2007. "Antitrust Policy: The Impact of Revenue Penalties on Price," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 1-8, March.
- Kahn, Alfred E. & Tardiff, Timothy J. & Weisman, Dennis L., 1999. "The Telecommunications Act at three years: an economic evaluation of its implementation by the Federal Communications Commission," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 319-365, December.
- Kamerschen, David R. & Klein, Peter G. & Porter, David V., 2005. "Market structure in the US electricity industry: A long-term perspective," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 731-751, September.
- Galbi, Douglas A., 2001. "Regulating prices for shifting between service providers," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 393-410, December.
- Simran Kahai & David Kaserman, 2007. "Effective regulation versus tacit collusion in the long-distance market: an empirical analysis," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 247-257, December.
- Galbi, Douglas A., 2001. "Regulating prices for shifting between service providers," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 181-198, June.
- Caroline Elliott & Melinda Acutt, 2007. "Antitrust Policy: The Impact of Revenue Penalties on Price," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 1-8, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.