Consumer Capital Market Constraints and Guaranteed Renewable Insurance
AbstractThis paper analyzes a market in which individuals can purchase guaranteed renewable insurance policies to insure against the risk of loss in the current period and the risk of an increased probability of loss. Individuals who cannot borrow will purchase partially guaranteed renewable insurance at most. Relatively impatient individuals may purchase policies with no guaranteed renewability features. Without borrowing, the results are similar regardless of whether consumers can save. Copyright 1998 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Risk and Uncertainty.
Volume (Year): 16 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (July-Aug.)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100299
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Florian Baumann & Volker Meier & Martin Werding, 2004.
"Transferable Ageing Provisions in Individual Health Insurance Contracts,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1116, CESifo Group Munich.
- Florian Baumann & Volker Meier & Martin Werding, 2008. "Transferable Ageing Provisions in Individual Health Insurance Contracts," German Economic Review, Verein fÃ¼r Socialpolitik, Verein fÃ¼r Socialpolitik, vol. 9, pages 287-311, 08.
- Florian Baumann & Volker Meier & Martin Werding, 2006. "Transferable Ageing Provisions in Individual Health Insurance Contracts," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 32, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Baumann, Florian & Meier, Volker & Werding, Martin, 2008. "Transferable ageing provisions in individual health insurance contracts," Munich Reprints in Economics, University of Munich, Department of Economics 20150, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Volker Meier, 2003.
"Efficient Transfer of Aging Provisions in Private Health Insurance,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
862, CESifo Group Munich.
- Volker Meier, 2005. "Efficient Transfer of Aging Provisions in Private Health Insurance," Journal of Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 84(3), pages 249-275, 05.
- Meier, Volker, 2005. "Efficient transfer of aging provisions in private health insurance," Munich Reprints in Economics, University of Munich, Department of Economics 19184, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Mark Pauly & Kai Menzel & Howard Kunreuther & Richard Hirth, 2011. "Guaranteed renewability uniquely prevents adverse selection in individual health insurance," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 127-139, October.
- Annette Hofmann & Mark Browne, 2013. "One-sided commitment in dynamic insurance contracts: Evidence from private health insurance in Germany," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 81-112, February.
- Paul Kleindorfer & Howard Kunreuther & Chieh Ou-Yang, 2012. "Single-year and multi-year insurance policies in a competitive market," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 51-78, August.
- Bradley Herring & Mark V. Pauly, 2006. "The Effect of State Community Rating Regulations on Premiums and Coverage in the Individual Health Insurance Market," NBER Working Papers 12504, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Herring, Bradley & Pauly, Mark V., 2006. "Incentive-compatible guaranteed renewable health insurance premiums," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 395-417, May.
- Kevin Frick, 2002. "Valuing improvements in lifetime endowments in markets with no borrowing," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 30(2), pages 191-195, June.
- Bradley Herring & Mark Pauly, 2003. "Incentive-Compatible Guaranteed Renewable Health Insurance," NBER Working Papers 9888, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Volker Meier, 2003. "Solving the Premium Risk Problem, Insurer Switches, and Transfers of Aging Provisions," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 1(3), pages 20-23, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.