Living Next to Godliness: Residential Property Values and Churches
AbstractThis article extends the analysis concerning the impact of neighborhood churches on residential property values by investigating nearly 5,000 residential property transactions in Henderson, Nevada, between January 1986 and December 1990. We find that real property values decrease, at a decreasing rate, as distance from a neighborhood church increases. This result is the opposite of that reported by Do, Wilbur, and Short in a previous edition of this journal. We bolster our findings by showing that distance from the site of a future church has little or no impact on residential property values, whereas distance from an existing church is associated with lower property values. Our evidence indicates that neighborhood churches are amenities that enhance the value of neighborhood residential property, we demonstrate that larger churches (as measured by square foot of lot size) tend to have a greater impact on residential property values. Copyright 1996 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Real Estate Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102945
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lazrak, F. & Nijkamp, P. & Rietveld, P. & Rouwendal, J., 2009. "Cultural heritage and creative cities: an economic evaluation perspective," Serie Research Memoranda 0036, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2010.
"Impact of sports arenas on land values: evidence from Berlin,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
25512, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2010. "Impact of sports arenas on land values: evidence from Berlin," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 205-227, April.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2007. "Impact of Sports Arenas on Land Values: Evidence from Berlin," Working Papers 0703, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Dennis Kaufman & Norman Cloutier, 2006. "The Impact of Small Brownfields and Greenspaces on Residential Property Values," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 19-30, August.
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt, 2010. "Architektur, Ökonomie - Architekturökonomie," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 11(4), pages 340-355, November.
- Robert A. Simons & Youngme Seo, 2011. "Religious Value Halos: The Effect of a Jewish Orthodox Campus on Residential Property Values," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 14(3), pages 330-353.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt, 2007. "If Alonso Was Right: Accessibility as Determinant for Attractiveness of Urban Location," Working Papers 012, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- Sebastian Brandt & Wolfgang Maennig & Felix Richter, 2013. "Do places of worship affect housing prices? Evidence from Germany," Working Papers 048, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2008. "Award-Winning Architecture and Urban Revitalization: The Case of “Olympic Arenas” in Berlin-Prenzlauer Berg," Working Papers 0814, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.