How much low income turnover is there in Belgium?
AbstractAlthough the requisite data are available, information about low income dynamics in Belgium is in short supply. This article presents new evidence based on the first six waves of a nationally representative panel survey: the Panel Study on Belgian Households (PSBH). The basic figures reported suggest that the degree of low income turnover in Belgium is relatively low. However the picture obtained crucially depends on the poverty threshold considered with the turnover being much higher at the very bottom of the income distribution. Re-entry into poverty turns out to be an important risk, even after several years spent out of poverty. More generally, cross-sections of the population seem to provide a fairly good proxy for those ‘persistently’ poor. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2002
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 77 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=108909
Poverty Dynamics; Panel Data; PSBH; D310; I320;
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ann Huff Stevens, 1995.
"Climbing Out of Poverty, Falling Back In: Measuring the Persistence of Poverty over Multiple Spells,"
NBER Working Papers
5390, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ann Huff Stevens, 1999. "Climbing out of Poverty, Falling Back in: Measuring the Persistence of Poverty Over Multiple Spells," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 34(3), pages 557-588.
- Stephen P. Jenkins, 2000. "Modelling household income dynamics," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 529-567.
- Chaudhuri, Shubham & Ravallion, Martin, 1994. "How well do static indicators identify the chronically poor?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 367-394, March.
- Stevens, Ann Huff, 1994. "The Dynamics of Poverty Spells: Updating Bane and Ellwood," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 34-37, May.
- H. Deleeck & L. De Lathouwer & K. Van Den Bosch, 1992. "Adequacy of social security in seven EC-countries," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 135, pages 319-351.
- repec:ese:iserwp:99-23 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mary Jo Bane & David T. Ellwood, 1986. "Slipping into and out of Poverty: The Dynamics of Spells," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 21(1), pages 1-23.
- repec:ese:iserwp:96-19 is not listed on IDEAS
- Duncan, Greg J, et al, 1993. "Poverty Dynamics in Eight Countries," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 215-34.
- Van Kerm, Philippe, 2004. "Une évaluation économétrique des flux vers et hors de la pauvreté en Belgique," IRISS Working Paper Series 2004-04, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Andriopoulou, Eirini & Tsakloglou, Panos, 2011.
"The Determinants of Poverty Transitions in Europe and the Role of Duration Dependence,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5692, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eirini Andriopoulou & Panagiotis Tsakloglou, . "The determinants of poverty transitions in Europe and the role of duration dependence," DEOS Working Papers 1119, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Eirini Andriopoulou & Panagiotis Tsakloglou, . "The determinants of poverty transitions in Europe and the role of duration dependence," DEOS Working Papers 1120, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Eirini Andriopoulou & Panagiotis Tsakloglou, . "The determinants of poverty transitions in Europe and the role of duration dependence," DEOS Working Papers 1121, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Andriopoulou, Eirini & Tsakloglou, Panagiotis, 2011. "The determinants of poverty transitions in Europe and the role of duration dependence," MPRA Paper 30659, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.