A Benchmark Approach to Portfolio Optimization under Partial Information
AbstractThis paper proposes a filtering methodology for portfolio optimization when some factors of the underlying model are only partially observed. The level of information is given by the observed quantities that are here supposed to be the primary securities and empirical log-price covariations. For a given level of information we determine the growth optimal portfolio, identify locally optimal portfolios that are located on a corresponding Markowitz efficient frontier and present an approach for expected utility maximization. We also present an expected utility indifference pricing approach under partial information for the pricing of nonreplicable contracts. This results in a real world pricing formula under partial information that turns out to be independent of the subjective utility of the investor and for which an equivalent risk neutral probability measure need not exist.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Asia-Pacific Financial Markets.
Volume (Year): 14 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=102851
Portfolio optimization; Partial information; Filtering; Growth optimal portfolio; Expected utility maximization; Utility indifference pricing; Real world pricing formula; G10; G13; Primary 90A12; Secondary 60G30; 62P20;
Other versions of this item:
- Eckhard Platen & Wolfgang Runggaldier, 2007. "A Benchmark Approach to Portfolio Optimization under Partial Information," Research Paper Series 191, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eckhard Platen, 2006.
"A Benchmark Approach To Finance,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 131-151.
- Babbs, Simon H. & Nowman, K. Ben, 1999. "Kalman Filtering of Generalized Vasicek Term Structure Models," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(01), pages 115-130, March.
- Eckhard Platen & Wolfgang Runggaldier, 2002.
"A Benchmark Approach to Filtering in Finance,"
Research Paper Series
77, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Gombani, Andrea & Jaschke, Stefan R. & Runggaldier, Wolfgang J., 2005. "A filtered no arbitrage model for term structures from noisy data," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 381-400, March.
- Eckhard Platen, 2001.
"A Minimal Financial Market Model,"
Research Paper Series
48, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Eckhard Platen, 2004.
"Diversified Portfolios with Jumps in a Benchmark Framework,"
Research Paper Series
129, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Eckhard Platen, 2004. "Diversified Portfolios with Jumps in a Benchmark Framework," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Jörn Sass & Ulrich Haussmann, 2004. "Optimizing the terminal wealth under partial information: The drift process as a continuous time Markov chain," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 553-577, November.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Camilla LandÊn, 2000. "Bond pricing in a hidden Markov model of the short rate," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 371-389.
- Lakner, Peter, 1995. "Utility maximization with partial information," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 247-273, April.
- Nicole Bäuerle & Ulrich Rieder, 2007. "Portfolio Optimization With Jumps And Unobservable Intensity Process," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(2), pages 205-224.
- Bhar Ramaprasad & Chiarella Carl & Runggaldier Wolfgang J., 2004. "Inferring the Forward Looking Equity Risk Premium from Derivative Prices," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-26, March.
- Claudio Fontana & Wolfgang J. Runggaldier, 2012. "Diffusion-based models for financial markets without martingale measures," Papers 1209.4449, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2013.
- Ke Du & Eckhard Platen, 2011. "Three-Benchmarked Risk Minimization for Jump Diffusion Markets," Research Paper Series 296, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.