The Role of Executive Stock Options in REIT Repurchases
AbstractThis paper examines the relationship between managerial stock option holdings and the decision to announce a repurchase of the firm’s common stock. Managerial stock option holdings should reinforce the traditional undervaluation, free cash flow, and capital structure motives for repurchases by helping to align the objectives of management and shareholders. Data from the Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) industry during the peak period of repurchase activity (1997?999) are used to estimate a logit model of the decision to announce a repurchase program. After controlling for the standard motivations discussed in the literature, the findings reveal that managerial option holdings are positively related to the likelihood of a repurchase announcement.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 30 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Joseph Ooi & Seow-Eng Ong & Lin Li, 2010. "An Analysis of the Financing Decisions of REITs: The Role of Market Timing and Target Leverage," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 130-160, February.
- Gow-Cheng Huang & Kartono Liano & Ming-Shiun Pan, 2009. "REIT Open-Market Stock Repurchases and Profitability," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 439-449, November.
- Boudry, Walter I. & Kallberg, Jarl G. & Liu, Crocker H., 2013. "Investment opportunities and share repurchases," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(C), pages 23-38.
- Rim El Houcine & Adel Boubaker, 2014. "Share Repurchasing and the Policies of Stock-Options," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 4(1), pages 175-187, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.