The Effect of Microaggregation Procedures on the Estimation of Linear Models: A Simulation Study
AbstractMicroaggregation is a set of procedures that distort empirical data in order to guarantee their facutal anonymity. At the same time the information content of data sets should not be reduced too much and should still be useful for scientific research. This paper investigates the effect of mircoaggregation on the estimation of a linear regression by ordinary least squares. It studies, by way of an extensive simulation experiment, the bias of the slope parameter estimator induced by various microaggregation techniques. Some microaggregation procedures lead to consistent estimates while others imply an asymptotic bias for the estimator.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics in its journal Journal of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 225 (2005)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Licher Straße 74, 35394 Gießen
Phone: +49 (0)641 99 22 001
Fax: +49 (0)641 99 22 009
Web page: http://wiwi.uni-giessen.de/home/oekonometrie/Jahrbuecher/
More information through EDIRC
Microaggregation; disclosure control; simple linear model; bias; consistency;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- C81 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Microeconomic Data; Data Access
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Winfried Pohlmeier & Sandra Lechner, 2003. "Schätzung ökonometrischer Modelle auf der Grundlage anonymisierter Daten," CoFE Discussion Paper 03-04, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Feige, Edgar L & Watts, Harold W, 1972. "An Investigation of the Consequences of Partial Aggregation of Micro-Economic Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(2), pages 343-60, March.
- López, Alberto, 2011. "The effect of microaggregation on regression results: an application to Spanish innovation data," MPRA Paper 30403, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Matthias Schmid, 2006. "Estimation of a linear model under microaggregation by individual ranking," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer, vol. 90(3), pages 419-438, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Winker).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.