Soybean Inventory and Forward Curve Dynamics
AbstractWe present two results concerning soybean prices. First, we exhibit a simple relationship between stocks and price volatility. The observation of an increasing price volatility with decreasing inventory is often mentioned in the literature, but has so far been documented using a proxy for inventory (see Fama and French 1987, 1988; Litzenberger and Rabinowitz 1995). Instead, we reconstruct a yearly, quarterly, and monthly database of worldwide soybean inventories using aggregate data from the United States, Brazil, and Argentina. We show that under all time scales, price volatility is an increasing linear function of inverse inventory, which we term "scarcity." Second, we show how the addition of the factor scarcity in a state-variable approach to the dynamics of the term structure of soybean forward prices improves the quality of the fit. We document this property on a 25-year database of CBOT futures contracts and show that the superior accuracy also affects long-maturity futures contracts, an important property for the valuation of long-term origination contracts between producing countries and the agrifood industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 51 (2005)
Issue (Month): 7 (July)
term structure of soybean forward prices; state variables; scarcity-related volatility;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alvaro Cartea & Marcelo Figueroa & Helyette Geman, 2009.
"Modelling Electricity Prices with Forward Looking Capacity Constraints,"
Applied Mathematical Finance,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 103-122.
- Alvaro Cartea & Marcelo G. Figueroa & Helyette Geman, 2008. "Modelling Electricity Prices with Forward Looking Capacity Constraints," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0802, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Cartea, Álvaro, 2009. "Modelling electricity prices with forward looking capacity constraints," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/12104, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Cartea, Álvaro & Figuerola, Marcelo G. & German, Hélyette, . "Modelling electricity prices with forward looking capacity constraints," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/12078, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Liu, Peng (Peter) & Tang, Ke, 2010. "No-arbitrage conditions for storable commodities and the modeling of futures term structures," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1675-1687, July.
- Füss, Roland & Mahringer, Steffen & Prokopczuk, Marcel, 2013. "Electricity Derivatives Pricing with Forward-Looking Information," Working Papers on Finance 1317, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Symeonidis, Lazaros & Prokopczuk, Marcel & Brooks, Chris & Lazar, Emese, 2012.
"Futures basis, inventory and commodity price volatility: An empirical analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2651-2663.
- Symeonidis, Lazaros & Prokopczuk, Marcel & Brooks, Chris & Lazar, Emese, 2012. "Futures basis, inventory and commodity price volatility: An empirical analysis," MPRA Paper 39903, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yannick Le Pen & Benoît Sévi, 2013.
"Futures Trading and the Excess Comovement of Commodity Prices,"
AMSE Working Papers
1301, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised Jan 2013.
- Yannick Le Pen & Benoît Sévi, 2013. "Futures Trading and the Excess Comovement of Commodity Prices," Working Papers halshs-00793724, HAL.
- Sévi, Benoît & Le Pen, Yannick, . "Futures trading and the excess comovement of commodity prices," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© Paris-Dauphine urn:hdl:123456789/11382, Université Paris-Dauphine.
- Geman, Hélyette & Smith, William O., 2013. "Theory of storage, inventory and volatility in the LME base metals," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 18-28.
- Paschke, Raphael & Prokopczuk, Marcel, 2010. "Commodity derivatives valuation with autoregressive and moving average components in the price dynamics," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 2742-2752, November.
- Back, Janis & Prokopczuk, Marcel & Rudolf, Markus, 2013. "Seasonality and the valuation of commodity options," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 273-290.
- Gonzalo Cortazar & Ivo Kovacevic & Eduardo S. Schwartz, 2013. "Commodity and Asset Pricing Models: An Integration," NBER Working Papers 19167, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaime Casassus & Peng Liu & Ke Tang, 2011. "Relative Scarcity of Commodities with a Long-Term Economic Relationship and the Correlation of Futures Returns," Documentos de Trabajo 404, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Yannick Le Pen & Benoît Sévi, 2013. "Futures trading and the excess comovement of commodity prices," Working Papers 19, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Dempster, M.A.H. & Tang, Ke, 2011. "Estimating exponential affine models with correlated measurement errors: Applications to fixed income and commodities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 639-652, March.
- Nicolas Merener, 2012. "Globally Distributed Production and Asset Pricing:the Rise of Latin America in CME Soybean Futures," Business School Working Papers 2012-01, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.