The Data of Levy and Levy (2002) ÜProspect Theory: Much Ado About Nothing?Ý Actually Support Prospect Theory
AbstractLevy and Levy (Management Science2002) present data that, according to their claims, violate prospect theory. They suggest that prospect theory's hypothesis of an S-shaped value function, concave for gains and convex for losses, is incorrect. However, all the data of Levy and Levy are perfectly consistent with the predictions of prospect theory, as can be verified by simply applying prospect theory formulas. The mistake of Levy and Levy is that they, incorrectly, thought that probability weighting could be ignored.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 49 (2003)
Issue (Month): 7 (July)
Prospect Theory; Stochastic Dominance; Utility; Probability Weighting; Inverses;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rosenblatt-Wisch, Rina, 2008.
"Loss aversion in aggregate macroeconomic time series,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 52(7), pages 1140-1159, October.
- Rina Rosenblatt-Wisch, 2007. "Loss Aversion in Aggregate Macroeconomic Time Series," Working Papers 2007-06, Swiss National Bank.
- Cumova, Denisa & Nawrocki, David, 2014. "Portfolio optimization in an upside potential and downside risk framework," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 71(C), pages 68-89.
- Michael H. Birnbaum & Jeffrey P. Bahra, 2007. "Gain-Loss Separability and Coalescing in Risky Decision Making," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(6), pages 1016-1028, June.
- Peter Brooks & Simon Peters & Horst Zank, 2014. "Risk behavior for gain, loss, and mixed prospects," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 77(2), pages 153-182, August.
- Baucells, Manel & Heukamp, Franz H., 2004. "Reevaluation of the results of Levy and Levy (2002a)," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 15-21, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.