The Halo Effect and Technology Licensing: The Influence of Institutional Prestige on the Licensing of University Inventions
AbstractSociologists and organizational theorists have long claimed that the processes of knowledge creation and distribution are fundamentally social. Following in this tradition, we explore the effect of institutional prestige on university technology licensing. Empirically, we examine the influence of university prestige on the annual rate of technology licensing by 102 universities from 1991--1998. We show that institutional prestige increases a university's licensing rate over and above the rate that is explained by the university's past licensing performance. Because licensing success positively impacts future invention production, we argue that institutional prestige leads to stratification in the creation and distribution of university-generated knowledge.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 49 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Prestige; Status; Licensing; Technology;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Blind, Knut & Cremers, Katrin & Mueller, Elisabeth, 2009.
"The influence of strategic patenting on companies' patent portfolios,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 428-436, March.
- Blind, Knut & Cremers, Katrin & Mueller, Elisabeth, 2008. "The influence of strategic patenting on companies' patent portfolios," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-013 [rev.], ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Blind, Knut & Cremers, Katrin & Mueller, Elisabeth, 2007. "The Influence of Strategic Patenting on Companies' Patent Portfolios," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-013, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Macho-Stadler Inés & Pérez-Castrillo David & Veugelers Reinhilde, 2005.
"Licensing of University Inventions: The Role of a Technology Transfer Office,"
201022, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Macho-Stadler, Ines & Perez-Castrillo, David & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2007. "Licensing of university inventions: The role of a technology transfer office," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 483-510, June.
- Bradley, Steven W. & Wiklund, Johan & Shepherd, Dean A., 2011. "Swinging a double-edged sword: The effect of slack on entrepreneurial management and growth," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 537-554, September.
- Bradley, Samantha R. & Hayter, Christopher S. & Link, Albert N., 2013. "Models and Methods of University Technology Transfer," Working Papers 13-10, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Department of Economics.
- Andrew Toole & Calum Turvey, 2009. "How does initial public financing influence private incentives for follow-on investment in early-stage technologies?," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 43-58, February.
- Nelson, Andrew J., 2012. "Putting university research in context: Assessing alternative measures of production and diffusion at Stanford," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 678-691.
- Lichtenthaler, Ulrich & Ernst, Holger, 2007. "Developing reputation to overcome the imperfections in the markets for knowledge," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 37-55, February.
- Higgins, Matthew J. & Stephan, Paula E. & Thursby, Jerry G., 2011. "Conveying quality and value in emerging industries: Star scientists and the role of signals in biotechnology," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 605-617, May.
- Malik, Tariq H., 2013. "National institutional differences and cross-border university–industry knowledge transfer," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 776-787.
- Elfenbein, Daniel W., 2007. "Publications, patents, and the market for university inventions," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 63(4), pages 688-715, August.
- Andrea Fosfuri, 2004. "The Licensing Dilemma: Understanding The Determinants Of The Rate Of Licensing," Business Economics Working Papers wb041507, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Matthew J. Higgins & Paula E. Stephan & Jerry G. Thursby, 2008. "Conveying Quality and Value in Emerging Industries: Star Scientists and the Role of Learning in Biotechnology," NBER Working Papers 14602, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Perkmann, Markus & Tartari, Valentina & McKelvey, Maureen & Autio, Erkko & Broström, Anders & D’Este, Pablo & Fini, Riccardo & Geuna, Aldo & Grimaldi, Rosa & Hughes, Alan & Krabel, Stefan & Kitson,, 2013. "Academic engagement and commercialisation: A review of the literature on university–industry relations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 423-442.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.