An Algorithm for Single-Item Capacitated Economic Lot Sizing with Piecewise Linear Production Costs and General Holding Costs
AbstractWe consider the Capacitated Economic Lot Size Problem with piecewise linear production costs and general holding costs, which is an NP-hard problem but solvable in pseudo-polynomial time. A straightforward dynamic programming approach to this problem results in an O(n 2 c\bar d\bar ) algorithm, where n is the number of periods, and d\bar and c\bar are the average demand and the average production capacity over the n periods, respectively. However, we present a dynamic programming procedure with complexity O(n 2 q\bar d\bar ), where q\bar is the average number of pieces required to represent the production cost functions. In particular, this means that problems in which the production functions consist of a fixed set-up cost plus a linear variable cost are solved in O(n 2 d\bar ) time. Hence, the running time of our algorithm is only linearly dependent on the magnitude of the data. This result also holds if extensions such as backlogging and startup costs are considered. Moreover, computational experiments indicate that the algorithm is capable of solving quite large problem instances within a reasonable amount of time. For example, the average time needed to solve test instances with 96 periods, 8 pieces in every production cost function, and average demand of 100 units is approximately 40 seconds on a SUN SPARC 5 workstation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 44 (1998)
Issue (Month): 6 (June)
Economic Lot Sizing; Dynamic Programming; Computational Complexity;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Awi Federgruen & Joern Meissner & Michal Tzur, 2002. "Progressive Interval Heuristics for Multi-Item Capacitated Lot-Sizing Problems," Working Papers MRG/0001, Department of Management Science, Lancaster University, revised Nov 2004.
- Akbalik, Ayse & Rapine, Christophe, 2013. "The single item uncapacitated lot-sizing problem with time-dependent batch sizes: NP-hard and polynomial cases," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 229(2), pages 353-363.
- Fleischhacker, Adam J. & Zhao, Yao, 2011. "Planning for demand failure: A dynamic lot size model for clinical trial supply chains," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(3), pages 496-506, June.
- Akbalik, Ayse & Penz, Bernard, 2009. "Exact methods for single-item capacitated lot sizing problem with alternative machines and piece-wise linear production costs," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 367-379, June.
- Karimi, B. & Fatemi Ghomi, S. M. T. & Wilson, J. M., 2003. "The capacitated lot sizing problem: a review of models and algorithms," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 365-378, October.
- Jans, Raf & Degraeve, Zeger, 2007. "Meta-heuristics for dynamic lot sizing: A review and comparison of solution approaches," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(3), pages 1855-1875, March.
- Chung-Yee Lee & Sila Çetinkaya & Albert P.M. Wagelmans, 1999. "A Dynamic Lot-Sizing Model with Demand Time Windows," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 99-095/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Li, Hongyan & Meissner, Joern, 2011.
"Competition under capacitated dynamic lot-sizing with capacity acquisition,"
International Journal of Production Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 131(2), pages 535-544, June.
- Hongyan Li & Joern Meissner, 2006. "Competition under Dynamic Lot Sizing Costs with Capacity Acquisition," Working Papers MRG/0006, Department of Management Science, Lancaster University, revised Apr 2010.
- Lee, C.Y. & Cetinkaya, S. & Wagelmans, A.P.M., 1999. "A dynamic lot-sizing model with demand time windows," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9948-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- van den Heuvel, W.J. & Wagelmans, A.P.M., 2003. "A geometric algorithm to solve the NI/G/NI/ND capacitated lot-sizing problem in O(T2) time," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2003-24, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Liu, X. & Tu, Yl., 2008. "Production planning with limited inventory capacity and allowed stockout," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(1), pages 180-191, January.
- Brahimi, Nadjib & Dauzere-Peres, Stephane & Najid, Najib M. & Nordli, Atle, 2006. "Single item lot sizing problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 168(1), pages 1-16, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.