The Growth and Welfare Consequences of Differential Tariffs
AbstractThis paper analyzes the impact of differential tariffs on consumption and investment in a specific factors model of a small open economy in which capital is accumulated over time. Particular attention is devoted to the welfare aspects, highlighting the cost of the intertemporal distortions produced by protective trade policies. Several specific welfare propositions are obtained. First, tariff protection is shown to create short-run benefits but long-run costs in welfare. Second, the second-best policy for the two tariffs is characterized. Finally, several propositions summarizing the implications of the authors' analysis for tariff reform are derived. Copyright 1993 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 34 (1993)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dinopoulos, Elias & Syropoulos, Constantinos, 1997. "Tariffs and Schumpeterian growth," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 425-452, May.
- Willenbockel, Dirk, 1999. "Dynamic applied general equilibrium trade policy analysis in the presence of foreign asset cross-ownership," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 371-388, August.
- Osang, Thomas & Pereira, Alfredo, 1996. "Import tariffs and growth in a small open economy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 45-71, April.
- Petrucci, Alberto, 2006. "Wealth Accumulation and Growth in a Specific-Factors Model of Trade and Finance," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp06029, University of Molise, Dept. SEGeS.
- Hwang, Yu-Ning & Turnovsky, Stephen J., 2013. "Exchange rate pass-through and the effects of tariffs on economic performance and welfare," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 81-102.
- Guillo, Maria Dolores & Perez-Sebastian, Fidel, 2007.
"The curse and blessing of fixed specific factors in small-open economies,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 58-78, January.
- Fidel Pérez Sebastián & María Dolores Guilló Fuentes, 2003. "The Curse And Blessing Of Fixed Specific Factors In Small-Open Economies," Working Papers. Serie AD 2003-36, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Dinopoulos, Elias & Segerstrom, Paul, 1999. "The dynamic effects of contingent tariffs," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 191-222, February.
- Ligthart, J.E. & Meijden, G.C. van der, 2010.
"Coordinated Tax-Tariff Reforms, Informality, and Welfare Distribution,"
2010-61, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jenny Ligthart & Gerard C. van der Meijden, 2010. "Coordinated Tax-Tari Reforms, Informality, and Welfare Distribution," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1029, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Jenny Ligthart & Gerard C. van der Meijden, 2010. "Coordinated Tax-Tariff Reforms, Informality, and Welfare Distribution," CESifo Working Paper Series 3107, CESifo Group Munich.
- Yano, Makoto & Honryo, Takakazu, 2010. "Trade imbalances and harmonization of competition policies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 438-452, July.
- Osang, Thomas & Turnovsky, Stephen J., 2000. "Differential tariffs, growth, and welfare in a small open economy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 315-342, August.
- John Fender & Chong K. Yip, 1998.
"Tariffs and Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux,"
Departmental Working Papers
_105, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J., 1996. "Fiscal policy, growth, and macroeconomic performance in a small open economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 41-66, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.