Terms-of-Trade Uncertainty, Incomplete Markets and Unemployment
AbstractThis paper examines a two-sector small open economy that is subject to shocks in its terms-of-trade. Risk-neutral entrepreneurs use implicit contracts to insure risk-averse workers against fluctuations in their income. The characteristics of these contracts are examined within a general framework and the implications for employment, wages, and utility of different realizations of relative prices are analyzed. The implicit contract equilibrium is shown to be constrained Pareto optimal when the social planner is unable to provide income directly to unemployed workers. Copyright 1992 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 33 (1992)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Donald R. Davis & Trevor A. Reeve, 1997.
"Human Capital, Unemployment and Relative Wages in a Global Economy,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1804, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Donald R. Davis & Trevor A. Reeve, 1997. "Human Capital, Unemployment, and Relative Wages in a Global Economy," NBER Working Papers 6133, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donald R. Davis & Trevor A. Reeve, 2000. "Human capital, unemployment, and relative wages in a global economy," International Finance Discussion Papers 659, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Eckhard Janeba, 2009.
"Exports, unemployment, and the welfare state,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 42(3), pages 930-955, August.
- Eckhard Janeba, 2007. "Exports, Unemployment and the Welfare State," CESifo Working Paper Series 1977, CESifo Group Munich.
- Janeba, Eckhard, 2007. "Exports, unemployment and the welfare state," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 60, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- repec:got:cegedp:60 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yu Sheng & Xingpeng Xu, 2007. "Terms of Trade Shocks and Endogenous Search Unemployment: A Two-sector Model with Non-Traded goods," DEGIT Conference Papers c012_025, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.