Testing between Competing Models of Real Business Cycles
AbstractThis paper tests a real business cycle model with efficient long-term labor contracts (the efficient long-term contract model) against a standard real business cycle model (the intertemporal substitution model). In the former model, employment and real wages are determined by bilateral dynamic bargaining between firms and workers. In the latter model, employment and real wages are determined instead by the dynamic optimization of households within the competitive market framework. The authors estimate each model using aggregate Japanese data. Their results show that the data are consistent with the efficient long-term contract model, but are inconsistent with the intertemporal substitution model. Copyright 1991 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 32 (1991)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Irina Khvostova & Alexander Larin & Anna Novak, 2014. "Euler equation with habits and measurement errors: estimates on Russian micro data," HSE Working papers WP BRP 52/EC/2014, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- de la Croix, David & Fagnart, Jean-Francois, 1995. "Underemployment of production factors in a forward-looking model," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 131-159, June.
- de la Croix, David & Palm, Franz C. & Pfann, Gerard A., 1996.
"A dynamic contracting model for wages and employment in three European economies,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 429-448, February.
- de la Croix, David & Palm, Franz & Pfann, Gerard, 1993. "A Dynamic Contracting Model for Wages and Employment in three European Economies," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1993021, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Kuroda, Sachiko & Yamamoto, Isamu, 2008.
"Estimating Frisch labor supply elasticity in Japan,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 566-585, December.
- Sachiko Kuroda & Isamu Yamamoto, 2007. "Estimating Frisch Labor Supply Elasticity in Japan," IMES Discussion Paper Series 07-E-05, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Ken Yamada, 2009.
"Labor Supply Responses to the 1990s Japanese Tax Reforms,"
12-2009, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Yamada, Ken, 2011. "Labor supply responses to the 1990s Japanese tax reforms," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 539-546, August.
- Ken Yamada, 2009. "Labor Supply Responses to the 1990s Japanese Tax Reforms," Labor Economics Working Papers 23047, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Christopher Otrok & Panayiotis M. Pourpourides, 2011.
"On the Cyclicality of Real Wages and Wage Differentials,"
2011-4, Central Bank of Cyprus.
- Otrok, Christopher & Pourpourides, Panayiotis M., 2008. "On The Cyclicality of Real Wages and Wage Differentials," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2008/19, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section, revised Mar 2009.
- John C. Ham & Kevin T. Reilly, 2002. "Testing Intertemporal Substitution, Implicit Contracts, and Hours Restriction Models of the Labor Market Using Micro Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 905-927, September.
- Christopher Otrok & Panayiotis M. Pourpourides, 2011. "On The Cyclicality of Real Wages and Wage DiÂ¤erentials," Working Papers 1116, Department of Economics, University of Missouri.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.