Optimal growth under endogenous depreciation, capital utilization and maintenance costs
AbstractThis paper analyzes the equilibrium dynamics of an optimal growth model with endogenous depreciation, variable capital utilization, and expenditures on the maintenance of physical capital. Maintenance reduces the depreciation of capital, utilization affects the activity of maintainance. We establish a set of sufficient conditions for the existence and uniqueness of a steady state equilibrium. We define a "delta golden rule" consistent with the proposed economic environment and we analyze the dynamic efficiency of this economy. Finally, the steady state is found to be locally saddle-path stable. (Copyright: Fundación Empresa Pública)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Fundación SEPI in its journal Investigaciones Economicas.
Volume (Year): 25 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Investigaciones Economicas Fundación SEPI Quintana, 2 (planta 3) 28008 Madrid Spain
Web page: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/
Other versions of this item:
- Omar Licandro & Luis A. Puch & J. Ramón Ruiz Tamaritz, 2001. "Optimal Growth under Endogeneous Depreciation, Capital Utilization and Maintenance Costs," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 0101, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Omar Licandro & Luis A. Puch & J. Ramón Ruiz-Tamarit, . "Optimal Growth under Endogenous Depreciation, Capital Utilization and Maintenance Costs," Working Papers 2000-23, FEDEA.
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- D90 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abel, Andrew B & Blanchard, Olivier J, 1983.
"An Intertemporal Model of Saving and Investment,"
Econometric Society, vol. 51(3), pages 675-92, May.
- Omar LICANDRO & Luis A. PUCH, 2000. "Capital Utilization, Maintenance Costs and the Business Cycle," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 58, pages 143-164.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum, 1994.
"Factor Hoarding and the Propagation of Business Cycles Shocks,"
NBER Working Papers
4675, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin, 1996. "Factor-Hoarding and the Propagation of Business-Cycle Shocks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1154-74, December.
- Motahar, Eshragh, 1992. "Endogenous capital utilization and the q theory of investment," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 71-75, September.
- Ruiz-Tamarit, José Ramon, 1995. "Dépréciation endogène et sous-utilisation du capital," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1995026, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Epstein, L. & Denny, M., 1980. "Endogenous capital utilization in a short-run production model : Theory and an empiral application," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 189-207, February.
- Beatriz Rumbos & Leonardo Auernheimer, 2001. "Endogenous capital utilization in a neoclassical growth model," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 29(2), pages 121-134, June.
- Collard, Fabrice & Kollintzas, Tryphon, 2000. "Maintenance, Utilization, and Depreciation along the Business Cycle," CEPR Discussion Papers 2477, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & James A. Schmitz, Jr., 1999. "Maintenance and repair: too big to ignore," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall, pages 2-13.
- Martial Dupaigne, 2007. "Les variations choisies de l'utilisation du capital : une revue des implications macroéconomiques," Revue d'économie politique, Dalloz, vol. 0(2), pages 161-196.
- George Bitros, 2010. "The theorem of proportionality in contemporary capital theory: An assessment of its conceptual foundations," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 367-401, December.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & MARTINEZ, Blanca & SAGLAM, Cagri, 2006.
"Capital maintenance Vs technology adoption under embodied technical progress,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2006058, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Raouf, BOUCEKKINE & Blanca, MARTINEZ & Cagri, SAGLAM, 2006. "Capital Maintenance Vs Technology Adopton under Embodied Technical Progress," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2006030, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Fujisaki, Seiya & Mino, Kazuo, 2009.
"Long-Run Impacts of Inflation Tax with Endogenous Capital Depreciation,"
16657, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Seiya Fujisaki & Kazuo Mino, 2010. "Long-Run Impacts of Inflation Tax with Endogenous Capital Depreciation," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(1), pages 808-816.
- Boucekkine, R. & Fabbri, G. & Gozzi, F., 2010.
"Maintenance and investment: Complements or substitutes? A reappraisal,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2420-2439, December.
- Raouf BOUCEKKINE & Giorgio FABBRI & Fausto GOZZI, 2009. "Maintenance and investment : Complements or Substitutes ? A Reappraisal," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2009010, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Raouf Boucekkine & Giorgio Fabbri & Fausto Gozzi, 2009. "Maintenance and investment: complements or substitutes? A reappraisal," Working Papers 2009_21, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & FABBRI, Giorgio & GOZZI, Fausto, . "Maintenance and investment: complements or substitutes? A reappraisal," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2333, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ludmila Fadejeva & Aleksejs Melihovs, 2010.
"Measuring Total Factor Productivity and Variable Factor Utilization,"
Eastern European Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(5), pages 63-101, September.
- Ludmila Fadejeva & Aleksejs Melihovs, 2009. "Measuring Total Factor Productivity and Variable Factor Utilisation: Sector Approach, The Case of Latvia," Working Papers 2009/03, Latvijas Banka.
- J. Aznar-Márquez & J. R. Ruiz-Tamarit, .
"Endogenous Growth, Capital Utilization and Depreciation,"
- J. Aznar-Marquez & J.R. Ruiz-Tamarit, 2001. "Endogenous Growth, Capital Utilization and Depreciation," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2001037, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Monteiro, Goncalo & Cook, Adam & Dey, Sanjoy, 2013. "Optimal tax policy under habit formation and capital utilization," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 230-248.
- Dioikitopoulos, Evangelos V. & Kalyvitis, Sarantis, 2008. "Public capital maintenance and congestion: Long-run growth and fiscal policies," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 3760-3779, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Isabel Sánchez-Seco).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.