CEO Incentives, Cash Flow, and Investment
AbstractWe estimate the impact of chief executive officer (CEO) incentives on the sensitivity of investment to cash flow during a period of strong economic growth. Our measure of the alignment of managers’ and shareholders’ interests, pay-performance sensitivity (PPS), incorporates both stock and stock option holdings. Contrary to prior studies, we find that the dominant effect of increasing alignment is to reduce the overinvestment of free cash flow. We find no evidence that incentives exacerbate the severity of financial constraints. We find some evidence that PPS helps reduce the underinvestment of cash flow due to managerial shirking.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 33 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (Summer)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Firth, Michael & Malatesta, Paul H. & Xin, Qingquan & Xu, Liping, 2012. "Corporate investment, government control, and financing channels: Evidence from China's Listed Companies," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 433-450.
- Francis, Bill & Hasan, Iftekhar & Sharma, Zenu, 2011.
"Leverage and growth: Effect of stock options,"
Journal of Economics and Business,
Elsevier, vol. 63(6), pages 558-581.
- Fu, Richard & Wedge, Lei, 2011. "Managerial ownership and the disposition effect," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 2407-2417, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.