The myth of the overworked American
AbstractA challenge to the popular presumption that U.S. workers are experiencing declining levels of leisure time, finding that the total hours of work have not changed much over the past decade, but that the composition of labor has shifted from home work to market work, mostly as a result of changes in the total hours worked by women.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland in its journal Economic Commentary.
Volume (Year): (1995)
Issue (Month): Jan ()
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Ananth Seshadri & Mehmet Yorukoglu, 2005.
"Engines of Liberation,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 72(1), pages 109-133.
- Greenwood,J. & Seshadri,A. & Yorukoglu,M., 2002. "Engines of liberation," Working papers 1, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Ananth Seshadri & Mehmet Yorukoglu, 2003. "Engines of Liberation," RCER Working Papers 503, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Jeremy Greenwood & Ananth Seshadri & Mehmet Yorukoglu, 2002. "Engines of Liberation," Economie d'Avant Garde Research Reports 2, Economie d'Avant Garde.
- Coen-Pirani, Daniele & León, Alexis & Lugauer, Steven, 2010.
"The effect of household appliances on female labor force participation: Evidence from microdata,"
Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 503-513, June.
- Daniele Coen-Pirani & Alexis León & Steven Lugauer, . "The Effect of Household Appliances on Female Labor Force Participation: Evidence from Micro Data," GSIA Working Papers 2008-E14, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Steven Lugauer & Alexis Leon & Daniele Coen-Pirani, 2008. "The Effect of Household Appliances on Female Labor Force Participation: Evidence from Micro Data," 2008 Meeting Papers 541, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Alexis Le�n, 2008. "The Effect of Household Appliances on Female Labor Force Participation: Evidence from Micro Data," Working Papers 355, University of Pittsburgh, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2009.
- Neville Francis & Valerie A. Ramey, 2005.
"A Century of Work and Leisure,"
2005 Meeting Papers
250, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Ananth Seshadri, 2004. "Engines of Liberation - Additional Notes," RCER Working Papers 506, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Lonnie Golden, 2009. "A Brief History of Long Work Time and the Contemporary Sources of Overwork," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 84(2), pages 217-227, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lee Faulhaber).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.