Unemployment benefit system and unemployment duration in Finland
AbstractIn this paper a competing risks model for the probability of exiting from the labourforce or becoming employed under three different benefit schemes are estimated using data from the Finnish Labour Force Surveys. According to our results employment probability is three times higher for a non-claimant and about twice as high for an earnings-related unemployment insurance receiver than for a similar person on means-tested unemployment assistance. These figures suggest that the unemployment benefit system does not improve the benefit claimants' performance compared to that of the non-claimants in Finland.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Finnish Economic Association in its journal Finnish Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 6 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Erkki Koskela & Roope Uusitalo, 2003. "The Un-Intended Convergence: How the Finnish Unemployment Reached the European Level," CESifo Working Paper Series 878, CESifo Group Munich.
- Tomi Kyyrä & Pasi Holm & Juha Rantala, 1998. "Business Cycle, unemployment Trap and Effects of Economic Incentives on Job Finding Probability," Discussion Papers 175, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Virve Ollikainen & Tomi Kyyrä, 2006. "To Search or Not to Search? The Effects of UI Benefit Extension for the Elderly Unemployed," Discussion Papers 400, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Pasi Holm & Tomi Kyyrä & Juha Rantala, 1999. "Household Level Economic Incentives, Unemployment Trap and Job Finding Probability," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 361-378, August.
- Kettunen, Juha, 2002. "Labour mobility of unemployed workers," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 359-380, May.
- Koskela , Erkki & Uusitalo , Roope, 2004. "Unintended convergence – how Finnish unemployment reached the European level," Research Discussion Papers 6/2004, Bank of Finland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.