International Evidence on Convergence and Openness
AbstractIn this paper we examine for both economic convergence and openness convergence across the global economy and within specific regions. We find that convergence in openness is much more profound than income convergence. Moreover, convergence within regions takes place faster than convergence across the globe. We then examine for the effects of trade openness on income convergence. We use both trade openness indicators based on actual trade volumes as well as indices that rank countries according to trade policy openness. Finally, we consider the effects of such indices on openness convergence. We discuss our results in the context of the regionalism versus globalization debate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Research Studies Journal in its journal European Research Studies Journal.
Volume (Year): V (2002)
Issue (Month): 3-4 (July-December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.ersj.eu/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krueger, Anne O, 1997.
"Trade Policy and Economic Development: How We Learn,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Anne O. Krueger, 1997. "Trade Policy and Economic Development: How We Learn," NBER Working Papers 5896, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wilfred J. Ethier, 1998. "Regionalism in a Multilateral World," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(6), pages 1214-1245, December.
- Krueger, Anne O, 1998. "Why Trade Liberalisation Is Good for Growth," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(450), pages 1513-22, September.
- Ben-David, Dan, 1993. "Equalizing Exchange: Trade Liberalization and Income Convergence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 653-79, August.
- Pagan,Adrian & Ullah,Aman, 1999.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521355643, October.
- Kleinknecht, Alfred & ter Wengel, Jan, 1998. "The Myth of Economic Globalisation," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(5), pages 637-47, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eleni Giannakopoulou).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.