Whither Europeanization? Concept stretching and substantive change
AbstractThis paper discusses the concept of Europeanization in the light of recent research on the impact of the European Union politics and policy. Conceptual analysis is preliminary to empirical analysis. Accordingly, I examine the risk of �concept stretching�, discuss extension and intension of Europeanization, and propose a taxonomy to �unpack� the concept and organize empirical research. The explanation of Europeanization is based on mechanisms and variables that need further exploration, but some preliminary results are presented here. Further research should concentrate on the policy level (and its interaction with macro-structures) and seek cross-fertilization with theoretical policy analysis and international relations, thus avoiding the risk of intellectual segregation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Community Studies Association Austria (ECSA-A) in its journal European Integration online Papers (EIoP).
Volume (Year): 4 (2000)
Issue (Month): (07)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gourevitch, Peter, 1978. "The second image reversed: the international sources of domestic politics," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(04), pages 881-912, September.
- Robert Ladrech, 1994. "Europeanization of Domestic Politics and Institutions: The Case of France," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(1), pages 69-88, 03.
- Tanja E. Aalberts, 2005. "Sovereignty Reloaded? A Constructivist Perspective on European Research," The Constitutionalism Web-Papers p0010, University of Bath, Department of European Studies and Modern Languages.
- Assem Dandashly, 2012. "The Holy Trinity of Democracy, Economic Development, and Security. EU Democratization Efforts Beyond its Borders - The Case of Tunisia," KFG Working Papers p0042, Free University Berlin.
- Patrick Müller and Nicole Alecu de Flers, 2009. "Applying the Concept of Europeanization to the Study of Foreign Policy: Dimensions and Mechanisms," Working Papers of the Vienna Institute for European integration research (EIF) 5, Institute for European integration research (EIF).
- Ileana Tache & Cristina Neesham, 2009. "The Impact of the Europeanization Process on State-Industry Interaction in Romania," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(1), pages 17-36.
- Lehmkuhl, Dirk, 2000. "Under Stress: Europeanisation and Trade Associations in the Members States," European Integration online Papers (EIoP), European Community Studies Association Austria (ECSA-A), vol. 4, November.
- Börzel, Tanja A.; Risse, Thomas, 2000. "When Europe Hits Home: Europeanization and Domestic Change," European Integration online Papers (EIoP), European Community Studies Association Austria (ECSA-A), vol. 4, November.
- Tanja A. Börzel & Digdem Soyaltin, 2012. "Europeanization in Turkey - Stretching a Concept to its Limits?," KFG Working Papers p0036, Free University Berlin.
- Brüggemann, Michael & Kleinen von Königslöw, Katharina, 2007. "Let's talk about Europe': explaining vertical and horizontal Europeanization in the quality press," TranState Working Papers 60, University of Bremen, Collaborative Research Center 597: Transformations of the State.
- Tanja Börzel & Thomas Risse, 2000. "International Relations Theory and European Integration," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 56, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- Brüggemann, Michael, 2005. "How the EU constructs the European public sphere: seven strategies of information policy," TranState Working Papers 19, University of Bremen, Collaborative Research Center 597: Transformations of the State.
- Tanja A. Börzel & Thomas Risse, 2009. "The Transformative Power of Europe: The European Union and the Diffusion of Ideas," KFG Working Papers p0001, Free University Berlin.
- Matei, Lucica & Matei, Ani, 2010. "The Economic and Social Impact of Public Administration Europeanization," MPRA Paper 24267, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Haverland, Markus, 2005. "Does the EU cause domestic developments? The problem of case selection in Europeanization research," European Integration online Papers (EIoP), European Community Studies Association Austria (ECSA-A), vol. 9, 01.
- Kataryna Wolczuk, 2004. "Integration without Europeanisation: Ukraine and its Policy towards the European Union," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 15, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Assistant).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.