Towards a Differentiated Analysis of Competition of Competition Laws
AbstractCan "competition of competition laws" be a feasible concept that should play an important role in an international order for the worldwide protection of competition? We introduce four different types of regulatory competition that allow for a more differentiated analysis of beneficial and deficient effects of competition of competition laws. Our analysis shows that most types of regulatory competition have a rather limited scope for application to competition laws. However, yardstick competition can be very promising and represents a powerful argument against centralisation. An important result of our analysis is that the institutional framework of any competition of competition laws plays a crucial role for its workability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Berkeley Electronic Press in its series German Working Papers in Law and Economics with number 2004-1-1090.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.bepress.com/gwp/default/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-07-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2004-07-18 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-LAW-2004-07-18 (Law & Economics)
- NEP-REG-2004-07-18 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shughart, Willam II & Tollison, Robert D., 1985. "The positive economics of antitrust policy: A survey article," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 39-57, June.
- Wallace E. Oates, 1999. "An Essay on Fiscal Federalism," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 1120-1149, September.
- Van den Bergh, Roger, 2000. "Towards an Institutional Legal Framework for Regulatory Competition in Europe," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 435-66.
- Kollman, Ken & Miller, John H & Page, Scott E, 2000. "Decentralization and the Search for Policy Solutions," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(1), pages 102-28, April.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2004.
"The New Systems Competition,"
Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 5(1), pages 23-38, 02.
- Krugman, Paul R, 1987. "Is Free Trade Passe?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 131-44, Fall.
- Bernard Hoekman, 1997. "Competition Policy and the Global Trading System," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(4), pages 383-406, 07.
- Van Den Bergh, Roger, 1996. "Economic criteria for applying the subsidiarity principle in the European community: The case of competition policy," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 363-383, September.
- Israel M. Kirzner, 1997. "Entrepreneurial Discovery and the Competitive Market Process: An Austrian Approach," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 60-85, March.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416.
- Theresa M. Greaney, 1999. "Strategic Trade and Competition Policies to Assist Distressed Industries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(3), pages 767-784, May.
- Petros C. MAVROIDIS & Damien J. NEVEN, 2000. "The Modernisation of EU Competition Policy : Making the Network Operate," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 00.17, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Klaus Heine & Wolfgang Kerber, 2002. "European Corporate Laws, Regulatory Competition and Path Dependence," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 47-71, January.
- Kovacic, William E, 1992. "The Influence of Economics on Antitrust Law," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 30(2), pages 294-306, April.
- SALMON, Pierre, 1987.
"Decentralization as an incentive scheme,"
Institut des MathÃ©matiques Economiques â Document de travail de lâI.M.E. (1974-1993)
98, Institut des Mathématiques Economiques. LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS, Université de Bourgogne.
- Neumann, Manfred, 1990. "Industrial policy and competition policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(2-3), pages 562-567, May.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1997. "The selection principle and market failure in systems competition," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 247-274, November.
- Romano, Roberta, 1985. "Law as a Product: Some Pieces of the Incorporation Puzzle," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(2), pages 225-83, Fall.
- Wolfgang Kerber, . "An International Multi-Level System of Competition Laws: Federalism in Antitrust," German Working Papers in Law and Economics 2003-1-1065, Berkeley Electronic Press.
- Thomas Apolte & Rolf Caspers & Rolf Caspers, 1999. "Standortwettbewerb, wirtschaftspolitische Rationalität und internationale Ordnungspolitik," List Monographien, List Gesellschaft e.V., number 020.
- Murray C. Kemp & Koji Shimomura, 2002. "Recent Challenges to the Classical Gains-from-Trade Proposition," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 3(4), pages 485-489, November.
- Wolfgang Kerber & Roger Van den Bergh, 2008. "Mutual Recognition Revisited: Misunderstandings, Inconsistencies, and a Suggested Reinterpretation," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 447-465, 08.
- Eckardt, Martina, 2004. "Evolutionary approaches to legal change," Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory 47, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.