An extended DEA windows analysis: Middle East and East African seaports
AbstractPurpose – The aim of this paper is to evaluate the efficiency of 22 cargo seaports situated in the regions of East Africa and Middle East. Design/methodology/approach – The data envelopment analysis (DEA) with window analysis model evaluates the efficiency score in terms of normal efficiency and super efficiency. The analysis is based on the panel data for the period of 2000-2005. Findings – The number of efficient decision making units (DMUs) under super efficiency is more than the number under normal efficiency. Originality/value – Using panel data, this paper is the first study to use super efficiency with window analysis that compares the efficiency estimated with the normal efficiency and with super efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Journal of Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 37 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anatoliy G. Goncharuk, 2007. "Impact of political changes on industrial efficiency: a case of Ukraine," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(4), pages 324-340, September.
- Golany, B & Roll, Y, 1989. "An application procedure for DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 237-250.
- Kevin Cullinane & Dong-Wook Song, 2001. "The Administrative and Ownership Structure of Asian Container Ports," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 3(2), pages 175-197, June.
- Lourdes Trujillo & Beatriz Tovar, 2007. "The European Port Industry: An Analysis of its Economic Efficiency," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(2), pages 148-171, June.
- Carlos Pestana Barros, 2004. "Measuring performance in defense-sector companies in a small NATO member country," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(2), pages 112-128, May.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Manolis Athanassiou, 2004. "Efficiency in European Seaports with DEA: Evidence from Greece and Portugal," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 6(2), pages 122-140, June.
- Carlos Pestana Barros, 2006. "A Benchmark Analysis of Italian Seaports Using Data Envelopment Analysis," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(4), pages 347-365, December.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Cullinane Kevin & Song Dong-Wook & Ji Ping & Wang Teng-Fei, 2004. "An Application of DEA Windows Analysis to Container Port Production Efficiency," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(2), pages 1-23, June.
- Piyu Yue, 1992. "Data envelopment analysis and commercial bank performance: a primer with applications to Missouri banks," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jan, pages 31-45.
- Cullinane, Kevin & Wang, Teng-Fei & Song, Dong-Wook & Ji, Ping, 2006. "The technical efficiency of container ports: Comparing data envelopment analysis and stochastic frontier analysis," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 354-374, May.
- Teng-Fei Wang & Kevin Cullinane, 2006. "The Efficiency of European Container Terminals and Implications for Supply Chain Management," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 82-99, March.
- Biresh K. Sahoo & Debashis Acharya, 2012. "Constructing macroeconomic performance index of Indian states using DEA," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 39(1), pages 63-83, January.
- Odeck, James & Bråthen, Svein, 2012. "A meta-analysis of DEA and SFA studies of the technical efficiency of seaports: A comparison of fixed and random-effects regression models," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 46(10), pages 1574-1585.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Harris).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.