A meta-analysis of DEA and SFA studies of the technical efficiency of seaports: A comparison of fixed and random-effects regression models
AbstractThis paper presents a meta-analysis of variations in seaports’ Mean Technical Efficiency (MTE) scores based on 40 studies published in refereed academic journals. We link the variation in estimated MTE scores to differences in the following factors: the frontier methodology used, which essentially are the Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) and the Stochastic Frontier Analysis (SFA); regions where seaports are situated; type of data used; number of observations; and the total number of variables used. Furthermore, we compare fixed-effects against a random-effects regression model where the latter assumes that the individual study specific characteristics matter while the former assumes that there is one general tendency across all studies. We present several findings based on the data: (1) the random-effects model outperforms the fixed effects model in explaining the variations in MTEs, (2) recently published studies have lower MTE scores as compared with earlier published studies, (3) studies that used nonparametric DEA models depict higher MTE scores as compared with those that used SFA models, (4) panel data studies have lower TE scores as compared with cross-sectional data, and (5) studies using European seaport data produce lower MTE scores when compared with the rest of the world. Finally, our results contradict some previous meta-analysis studies of TE scores. We encourage the use of random-effects models in meta-analysis studies because they account for individual study specific effects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice.
Volume (Year): 46 (2012)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- González, MarIÂ´a Manuela & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2008. "Reforms and infrastructure efficiency in Spain's container ports," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 243-257, January.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Manolis Athanassiou, 2004. "Efficiency in European Seaports with DEA: Evidence from Greece and Portugal," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 6(2), pages 122-140, June.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art," Papers 9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Estache, Antonio & Gonzalez, Marianela & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2002.
"Efficiency Gains from Port Reform and the Potential for Yardstick Competition: Lessons from Mexico,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 545-560, April.
- Antonio Estache & Marianela Gonzalez & Lourdes Trujillo, 2002. "Efficiency gains from port reform and the potential for Yardstick competition: lessons from Mexico?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/13376, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Antonio Estache & Marianela Gonzalez & Lourdes Trujillo, 2002. "Efficiency Gains from Port Reform and the Potential for Yardstick Competition: Lessons from Mexico," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/43983, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Cullinane, Kevin & Ji, Ping & Wang, Teng-fei, 2005. "The relationship between privatization and DEA estimates of efficiency in the container port industry," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 57(5), pages 433-462.
- Tongzon, Jose & Heng, Wu, 2005. "Port privatization, efficiency and competitiveness: Some empirical evidence from container ports (terminals)," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 405-424, June.
- Kevin Cullinane & Dong-Wook Song, 2003. "A stochastic frontier model of the productive efficiency of Korean container terminals," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(3), pages 251-267.
- Kevin Cullinane & Dong-Wook Song & Tengfei Wang, 2005. "The Application of Mathematical Programming Approaches to Estimating Container Port Production Efficiency," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 73-92, 09.
- Theo Notteboom & Chris Coeck & Julien Van Den Broeck, 2000. "Measuring and Explaining the Relative Efficiency of Container Terminals by Means of Bayesian Stochastic Frontier Models," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 2(2), pages 83-106, June.
- Cullinane, Kevin & Song, Dong-Wook & Gray, Richard, 2002. "A stochastic frontier model of the efficiency of major container terminals in Asia: assessing the influence of administrative and ownership structures," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 743-762, October.
- Kumbhakar,Subal C. & Lovell,C. A. Knox, 2003. "Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521666633, April.
- Lourdes Trujillo & Beatriz Tovar, 2007. "The European Port Industry: An Analysis of its Economic Efficiency," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(2), pages 148-171, June.
- Cullinane Kevin & Song Dong-Wook & Ji Ping & Wang Teng-Fei, 2004. "An Application of DEA Windows Analysis to Container Port Production Efficiency," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(2), pages 1-23, June.
- P. Sim�es & R.C. Marques, 2010. "Seaport performance analysis using robust non-parametric efficiency estimators," Transportation Planning and Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(5), pages 435-451, June.
- Pablo Coto-Millan & Jose Banos-Pino & Ana Rodriguez-Alvarez, 2000. "Economic efficiency in Spanish ports: some empirical evidence," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(2), pages 169-174, April.
- Honore, Bo E., 1993. "Orthogonality conditions for Tobit models with fixed effects and lagged dependent variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1-2), pages 35-61, September.
- Rodriguez-Alvarez, Ana & Tovar, Beatriz & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2007. "Firm and time varying technical and allocative efficiency: An application to port cargo handling firms," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1-2), pages 149-161, September.
- Ahmed Salem Al-Eraqi & Adli Mustafa & Ahamad Tajudin Khader, 2010. "An extended DEA windows analysis: Middle East and East African seaports," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(2), pages 208-218, May.
- Hung, Shiu-Wan & Lu, Wen-Min & Wang, Tung-Pao, 2010. "Benchmarking the operating efficiency of Asia container ports," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 203(3), pages 706-713, June.
- Jie Wu & Hong Yan & John Liu, 2010. "DEA models for identifying sensitive performance measures in container port evaluation," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 12(3), pages 215-236, September.
- Ro-Kyung Park & Prabir De, 2004. "An Alternative Approach to Efficiency Measurement of Seaports," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 6(1), pages 53-69, March.
- Boris Bravo-Ureta & Daniel Solís & Víctor Moreira López & José Maripani & Abdourahmane Thiam & Teodoro Rivas, 2007. "Technical efficiency in farming: a meta-regression analysis," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 57-72, February.
- Carlos Pestana Barros, 2005. "Decomposing Growth in Portuguese Seaports: A Frontier Cost Approach," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 7(4), pages 297-315, December.
- L. C. Lin & C. C. Tseng, 2007. "Operational performance evaluation of major container ports in the Asia-Pacific region," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(6), pages 535-551, December.
- Cullinane, Kevin & Wang, Teng-Fei & Song, Dong-Wook & Ji, Ping, 2006. "The technical efficiency of container ports: Comparing data envelopment analysis and stochastic frontier analysis," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 354-374, May.
- Teng-Fei Wang & Kevin Cullinane, 2006. "The Efficiency of European Container Terminals and Implications for Supply Chain Management," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 82-99, March.
- Leonardo Ramos Rios & Antonio Carlos Gastaud Ma�ada, 2006. "Analysing the Relative Efficiency of Container Terminals of Mercosur using DEA," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(4), pages 331-346, December.
- María Manuela González & Lourdes Trujillo, 2009. "Efficiency Measurement in the Port Industry: A Survey of the Empirical Evidence," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 43(2), pages 157-192, May.
- Martijn Brons & Peter Nijkamp & Eric Pels & Piet Rietveld, 2005. "Efficiency of urban public transit: A meta analysis," Transportation, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Carlos Pestana Barros, 2006. "A Benchmark Analysis of Italian Seaports Using Data Envelopment Analysis," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(4), pages 347-365, December.
- William Greene, 2004. "Fixed Effects and Bias Due to the Incidental Parameters Problem in the Tobit Model," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(2), pages 125-147.
- Trujillo, L. & Tovar, B., 2007. "The European port industry: an analysis of its economic efficiency," Working Papers 07/05, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Yeo, Gi-Tae & Pak, Ji-Yeong & Yang, Zaili, 2013. "Analysis of dynamic effects on seaports adopting port security policy," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 285-301.
- Dong, Yizhe & Hamilton, Robert & Tippett, Mark, 2014. "Cost efficiency of the Chinese banking sector: A comparison of stochastic frontier analysis and data envelopment analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 298-308.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.