The effects of organizational structure and job characteristics on export sales managers' job satisfaction and organizational commitment
AbstractThis study draws on the job-modification framework and the job characteristics model to investigate the relationship between organizational structure, job characteristics, and work outcomes in export sales organizations. The study offers a conceptual framework and an empirical test using data collected from 160 UK exporters. The results indicate that formalization and centralization have a positive impact on job feedback. Moreover, centralization relates negatively to job autonomy and job variety. Higher levels of job autonomy, job variety and job feedback enhance the job satisfaction of export sales managers. In turn, export sales managers' job satisfaction relates positively to organizational commitment. Managerial implications are presented and future research avenues are identified.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of World Business.
Volume (Year): 46 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johnston, Mark W. & Parasuraman, A. & Futrell, Charles M., 1989. "Extending a model of salesperson role perceptions and work-related attitudes: Impact of job tenure," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 269-290, June.
- Challagalla, Goutam N. & Shervani, Tasadduq A., 1997. "A measurement model of the dimensions and types of output and behavior control: An empirical test in a salesforce context," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 159-172, July.
- Banai, Moshe & Reisel, William D., 2007. "The influence of supportive leadership and job characteristics on work alienation: A six-country investigation," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 463-476, December.
- Sanjeev Agarwal, 1993. "Influence of Formalization on Role Stress, Organizational Commitment, and Work Alienation of Salespersons: A Cross-National Comparative Study," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(4), pages 715-739, December.
- Theodosiou, Marios & Katsikea, Evangelia, 2007. "How management control and job-related characteristics influence the performance of export sales managers," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(12), pages 1261-1271, December.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.