Liberalisation and efficiency in international air transport
AbstractThis paper sets out to compare the economic and technical efficiency of international air transport companies, within the new liberalisation framework that characterises the period of 1996-2000. For this purpose, two stochastic frontiers are estimated, one for cost function, the other for production function. From these estimations we obtain indexes for, respectively, economic and technical efficiency. Our evidence suggests that the benefits of increasing competition in terms of efficiency, is being large for the Asian companies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice.
Volume (Year): 40 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Encaoua, David, 1991. "Liberalizing European airlines : Cost and factor productivity evidence," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 109-124, March.
- Oum, Tae Hoon & Lee, Yeong Heok, 2002. "The Northeast Asian air transport network: is there a possibility of creating Open Skies in the region?," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(5), pages 325-337.
- Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C, 1984. "Production Frontiers and Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 367-74, October.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-71, November.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Golany, B. & Seiford, L. & Stutz, J., 1985. "Foundations of data envelopment analysis for Pareto-Koopmans efficient empirical production functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 91-107.
- Peter Forsyth & Rob Hill & Chris Trengrove, 1986. "Measuring airline efficiency," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 7(1), pages 61-81, February.
- Chin, Anthony T.H., 1997. "Implications of liberalisation on airport development and strategy in the Asia Pacific," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 125-131.
- Bauer, Paul W., 1990. "Recent developments in the econometric estimation of frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 39-56.
- Adler, Nicole & Golany, Boaz, 2001. "Evaluation of deregulated airline networks using data envelopment analysis combined with principal component analysis with an application to Western Europe," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 260-273, July.
- Mario Larch, 2005.
"The Multinationalization of the Transport Sector,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
05-019/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Correia, Anderson R. & Wirasinghe, S.C. & de Barros, Alexandre G., 2008. "Overall level of service measures for airport passenger terminals," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 330-346, February.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Peypoch, Nicolas, 2009. "An evaluation of European airlines' operational performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 525-533, December.
- Givoni, Moshe & Rietveld, Piet, 2009. "Airline's choice of aircraft size - Explanations and implications," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(5), pages 500-510, June.
- Greer, Mark R., 2008. "Nothing focuses the mind on productivity quite like the fear of liquidation: Changes in airline productivity in the United States, 2000-2004," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 414-426, February.
- Teichert, Thorsten & Shehu, Edlira & von Wartburg, Iwan, 2008. "Customer segmentation revisited: The case of the airline industry," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 227-242, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.