Liberalisation and efficiency in international air transport
AbstractThis paper sets out to compare the economic and technical efficiency of international air transport companies, within the new liberalisation framework that characterises the period of 1996-2000. For this purpose, two stochastic frontiers are estimated, one for cost function, the other for production function. From these estimations we obtain indexes for, respectively, economic and technical efficiency. Our evidence suggests that the benefits of increasing competition in terms of efficiency, is being large for the Asian companies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice.
Volume (Year): 40 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C, 1984. "Production Frontiers and Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 367-74, October.
- Chin, Anthony T.H., 1997. "Implications of liberalisation on airport development and strategy in the Asia Pacific," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 125-131.
- Oum, Tae Hoon & Lee, Yeong Heok, 2002. "The Northeast Asian air transport network: is there a possibility of creating Open Skies in the region?," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(5), pages 325-337.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Golany, B. & Seiford, L. & Stutz, J., 1985. "Foundations of data envelopment analysis for Pareto-Koopmans efficient empirical production functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 91-107.
- Peter Forsyth & Rob Hill & Chris Trengrove, 1986. "Measuring airline efficiency," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 7(1), pages 61-81, February.
- Encaoua, David, 1991. "Liberalizing European airlines : Cost and factor productivity evidence," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 109-124, March.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Adler, Nicole & Golany, Boaz, 2001. "Evaluation of deregulated airline networks using data envelopment analysis combined with principal component analysis with an application to Western Europe," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 260-273, July.
- Bauer, Paul W., 1990. "Recent developments in the econometric estimation of frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 39-56.
- Teichert, Thorsten & Shehu, Edlira & von Wartburg, Iwan, 2008. "Customer segmentation revisited: The case of the airline industry," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 227-242, January.
- Givoni, Moshe & Rietveld, Piet, 2009. "Airline's choice of aircraft size - Explanations and implications," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(5), pages 500-510, June.
- Larch, Mario, 2007.
"The multinationalization of the transport sector,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 397-416.
- Boon L Lee & Clevo Wilson & Carl A Pasurka, Jr, 2013. "The Good, the Bad and the Efficient: Productivity, efficiency and technical change in the Airline Industry, 2004:2008," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 299, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Barros, Carlos P. & Liang, Qi Bin & Peypoch, Nicolas, 2013. "The technical efficiency of US Airlines," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 139-148.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Peypoch, Nicolas, 2009. "An evaluation of European airlines' operational performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 525-533, December.
- Correia, Anderson R. & Wirasinghe, S.C. & de Barros, Alexandre G., 2008. "Overall level of service measures for airport passenger terminals," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 330-346, February.
- Greer, Mark R., 2008. "Nothing focuses the mind on productivity quite like the fear of liquidation: Changes in airline productivity in the United States, 2000-2004," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 414-426, February.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.