Skewness and the linear discriminant function
AbstractFisher’s linear discriminant function might be difficult to estimate, when data come from a semiparametric, finite mixture model. We propose an estimator based on the singular value decomposition of the third standardized cumulant. The estimator is consistent when sampling from a mixture of two symmetric, homoscedastic components with finite third moments and different weights. We also evaluate its performance and compare it with another estimator, which uses the eigenvectors of a kurtosis matrix.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 83 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marc Genton & Nicola Loperfido, 2005. "Generalized skew-elliptical distributions and their quadratic forms," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 57(2), pages 389-401, June.
- Peña, Daniel & Prieto, Francisco J., 2000. "The kurtosis coefficient and the linear discriminant function," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 257-261, September.
- Kollo, Tõnu, 2008. "Multivariate skewness and kurtosis measures with an application in ICA," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 99(10), pages 2328-2338, November.
- Adelchi Azzalini & Antonella Capitanio, 2003. "Distributions generated by perturbation of symmetry with emphasis on a multivariate skew "t"-distribution," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(2), pages 367-389.
- T. P. Hettmansperger & Hoben Thomas, 2000. "Almost nonparametric inference for repeated measures in mixture models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 62(4), pages 811-825.
- Peña, Daniel & Prieto, Francisco J. & Viladomat, Júlia, 2010. "Eigenvectors of a kurtosis matrix as interesting directions to reveal cluster structure," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(9), pages 1995-2007, October.
- Posse, Christian, 1995. "Projection pursuit exploratory data analysis," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 669-687, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.