On the exact distribution of the maximum of absolutely continuous dependent random variables
AbstractWe derive the exact probability density function of the maximum of arbitrary absolutely continuous dependent random variables and of absolutely continuous exchangeable random variables. We show this density is related to the family of fundamental skew distributions. In particular, we examine the case where the random variables have an elliptically contoured distribution. We study some particular examples based on the multivariate normal and multivariate Student t distributions, and discuss numerical computation issues. We illustrate our results on a genetic selection problem and on an autoregressive time series model of order one.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 78 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Loperfido, Nicola, 2002. "Statistical implications of selectively reported inferential results," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 13-22, January.
- Arellano-Valle, Reinaldo B. & Genton, Marc G., 2005. "On fundamental skew distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 93-116, September.
- Arellano-Valle, Reinaldo B. & Genton, Marc G., 2007. "On the exact distribution of linear combinations of order statistics from dependent random variables," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(10), pages 1876-1894, November.
- Corrado Crocetta & Nicola Loperfido, 2005. "The exact sampling distribution of L-statistics," Metron - International Journal of Statistics, Dipartimento di Statistica, Probabilità e Statistiche Applicate - University of Rome, vol. 0(2), pages 213-223.
- Jamalizadeh, A. & Balakrishnan, N., 2009. "Prediction in a trivariate normal distribution via a linear combination of order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(21), pages 2289-2296, November.
- Yiannis Karavias & Elias Tzavalis, . "Generalized fixed-T panel unit root tests allowing for structural breaks," Discussion Papers 12/02, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Jamalizadeh, A. & Balakrishnan, N. & Salehi, Mehdi, 2010. "Order statistics and linear combination of order statistics arising from a bivariate selection normal distribution," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(5-6), pages 445-451, March.
- Ayyub Sheikhi & Ahad Jamalizadeh, 2011. "Regression analysis using order statistics," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 52(4), pages 885-892, November.
- Lui, Kung-Jong & Chang, Kuang-Chao, 2009. "Corrigendum to: "Testing homogeneity of risk difference in stratified randomized trials with noncompliance" [Comput. Statist. Data Anal. 53 (2008) 209-221]," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 1529-1529, February.
- Loperfido, Nicola, 2008. "A note on skew-elliptical distributions and linear functions of order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(18), pages 3184-3186, December.
- Jamalizadeh, A. & Balakrishnan, N., 2010. "Distributions of order statistics and linear combinations of order statistics from an elliptical distribution as mixtures of unified skew-elliptical distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(6), pages 1412-1427, July.
- Karavias, Yiannis & Tzavalis, Elias, 2012. "Generalized �Fixed-T Panel Unit Root Tests Allowing for Structural Breaks," MPRA Paper 43128, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.