On the exact distribution of linear combinations of order statistics from dependent random variables
AbstractWe study the exact distribution of linear combinations of order statistics of arbitrary (absolutely continuous) dependent random variables. In particular, we examine the case where the random variables have a joint elliptically contoured distribution and the case where the random variables are exchangeable. We investigate also the particular L-statistics that simply yield a set of order statistics, and study their joint distribution. We present the application of our results to genetic selection problems, design of cellular phone receivers, and visual acuity. We give illustrative examples based on the multivariate normal and multivariate Student t distributions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 98 (2007)
Issue (Month): 10 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Loperfido, Nicola, 2002. "Statistical implications of selectively reported inferential results," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 13-22, January.
- Cambanis, Stamatis & Huang, Steel & Simons, Gordon, 1981. "On the theory of elliptically contoured distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 368-385, September.
- Arellano-Valle, Reinaldo B. & Genton, Marc G., 2005. "On fundamental skew distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 93-116, September.
- Chunsheng Ma & John Robinson, 1999. "Saddlepoint Approximations for the Difference of Order Statistics and Studentized Sample Quantiles," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 61(3), pages 563-577.
- Corrado Crocetta & Nicola Loperfido, 2005. "The exact sampling distribution of L-statistics," Metron - International Journal of Statistics, Dipartimento di Statistica, Probabilità e Statistiche Applicate - University of Rome, vol. 0(2), pages 213-223.
- R. Arellano-Valle & Ahad Jamalizadeh & H. Mahmoodian & N. Balakrishnan, 2014. " $$L$$ L -statistics from multivariate unified skew-elliptical distributions," Metrika, Springer, vol. 77(4), pages 559-583, May.
- Arellano-Valle, Reinaldo B. & Genton, Marc G., 2008. "On the exact distribution of the maximum of absolutely continuous dependent random variables," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 27-35, January.
- Ayyub Sheikhi & Yaser Mehrali & Mahbanoo Tata, 2013. "On the exact joint distribution of a linear combination of order statistics and their concomitants in an exchangeable multivariate normal distribution," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 54(2), pages 325-332, May.
- Jamalizadeh, A. & Balakrishnan, N., 2009. "Prediction in a trivariate normal distribution via a linear combination of order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(21), pages 2289-2296, November.
- Jamalizadeh, A. & Balakrishnan, N., 2010. "Distributions of order statistics and linear combinations of order statistics from an elliptical distribution as mixtures of unified skew-elliptical distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(6), pages 1412-1427, July.
- Jamalizadeh, A. & Balakrishnan, N. & Salehi, Mehdi, 2010. "Order statistics and linear combination of order statistics arising from a bivariate selection normal distribution," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(5-6), pages 445-451, March.
- Ali Genç, 2012. "Distribution of linear functions from ordered bivariate log-normal distribution," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 53(4), pages 865-874, November.
- Lui, Kung-Jong & Chang, Kuang-Chao, 2009. "Corrigendum to: "Testing homogeneity of risk difference in stratified randomized trials with noncompliance" [Comput. Statist. Data Anal. 53 (2008) 209-221]," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 1529-1529, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.