A link between two-sided power and asymmetric Laplace distributions: with applications to mean and variance approximations
AbstractMotivated by our investigations of refinements of the project evaluation and review technique (PERT), we have developed a reparameterization of the asymmetric Laplace distribution and found it to be a useful tool for extending and improving various three-point approximations of continuous distributions (pioneered by Pearson and Tukey (Biometrika 52(3/4) (1965) 533)) by specifying the values of two quantiles and the mode.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 71 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hinkley, David V. & Revankar, Nagesh S., 1977. "Estimation of the Pareto law from underreported data : A further analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 1-11, January.
- C. Perry & I. D. Greig, 1975. "Estimating the Mean and Variance of Subjective Distributions in PERT and Decision Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(12), pages 1477-1480, August.
- Joseph J. Moder & E. G. Rodgers, 1968. "Judgment Estimates of the Moments of Pert Type Distributions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(2), pages B76-B83, October.
- Donald L. Keefer & Samuel E. Bodily, 1983. "Three-Point Approximations for Continuous Random Variables," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(5), pages 595-609, May.
- Kamburowski, J., 1997. "New validations of PERT times," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 323-328, June.
- Hon-Shiang Lau & Amy Hing-Ling Lau & Chrwan-Jyh Ho, 1998. "Improved Moment-Estimation Formulas Using More Than Three Subjective Fractiles," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(3), pages 346-351, March.
- Donald L. Keefer & William A. Verdini, 1993. "Better Estimation of PERT Activity Time Parameters," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(9), pages 1086-1091, September.
- C. García & J. García Pérez & J. Dorp, 2011. "Modeling heavy-tailed, skewed and peaked uncertainty phenomena with bounded support," Statistical Methods and Applications, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 463-486, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.