Rates of consistency for nonparametric estimation of the mode in absence of smoothness assumptions
AbstractNonparametric estimation of the mode of a density or regression function via kernel methods is considered. It is shown that the rate of consistency of the mode estimator can be determined without the typical smoothness conditions. Only the uniform rate of the so-called stochastic part of the problem together with some mild conditions characterizing the shape or "acuteness" of the mode influence the rate of the mode estimator. In particular, outside the location of the mode, our assumptions do not even imply continuity. Overall, it turns out that the location of the mode can be estimated at a rate that is the better the "peakier" (and hence nonsmooth) the mode is, while the contrary holds with estimation of the size of the mode.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 68 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vieu, Philippe, 1996. "A note on density mode estimation," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 297-307, March.
- Joseph Romano, 1988. "Bootstrapping the mode," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 565-586, September.
- Obereder, Andreas & Scherzer, Otmar & Kovac, Arne, 2007. "Bivariate density estimation using BV regularisation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(12), pages 5622-5634, August.
- Shi, Xiaoping & Wu, Yuehua & Miao, Baiqi, 2009. "A note on the convergence rate of the kernel density estimator of the mode," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(17), pages 1866-1871, September.
- Salah Khardani & Mohamed Lemdani & Elias Ould Saïd, 2012. "On the strong uniform consistency of the mode estimator for censored time series," Metrika, Springer, vol. 75(2), pages 229-241, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.