On recursive estimation for hidden Markov models
AbstractHidden Markov models (HMMs) have during the last decade become a widespread tool for modelling sequences of dependent random variables. In this paper we consider a recursive estimator for HMMs based on the m-dimensional distribution of the process and show that this estimator converges to the set of stationary points of the corresponding Kullback-Leibler information. We also investigate averaging in this recursive scheme and show that conditional on convergence to the true parameter, and provided m is chosen large enough, the averaged estimator is close to optimal.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Stochastic Processes and their Applications.
Volume (Year): 66 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rainer Schwabe & Harro Walk, 1996. "On a stochastic approximation procedure based on averaging," Metrika, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 165-180, December.
- Leroux, Brian G., 1992. "Maximum-likelihood estimation for hidden Markov models," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 127-143, February.
- Schwabe, R., 1986. "Strong representation of an adaptive stochastic approximation procedure," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 115-130, October.
- Ma, D.-J. & Makowski, A.M. & Shwartz, A., 1990. "Stochastic approximations for finite-state Markov chains," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 27-45, June.
- John Driffill & Turalay Kenc & Martin Sola & Fabio Spagnolo, 2008.
"On Model Selection and Markov-Switching: An Empirical Examination of Term Structure Models with Regime Shifts,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2008-04, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Driffill, John & Kenc, Turalay & Sola, Martin & Spagnolo, Fabio, 2004. "On Model Selection and Markov Switching: A Empirical Examination of Term Structure Models with Regime Shifts," CEPR Discussion Papers 4165, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.