Maximum-likelihood estimation for hidden Markov models
AbstractHidden Markov models assume a sequence of random variables to be conditionally independent given a sequence of state variables which forms a Markov chain. Maximum-likelihood estimation for these models can be performed using the EM algorithm. In this paper the consistency of a sequence of maximum-likelihood estimators is proved. Also, the conclusion of the Shannon-McMillan-Breiman theorem on entropy convergence is established for hidden Markov models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Stochastic Processes and their Applications.
Volume (Year): 40 (1992)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Turner, Rolf, 2008. "Direct maximization of the likelihood of a hidden Markov model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(9), pages 4147-4160, May.
- Chib, Siddhartha, 1996. "Calculating posterior distributions and modal estimates in Markov mixture models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 79-97, November.
- Guidolin, Massimo & Ono, Sadayuki, 2006.
"Are the dynamic linkages between the macroeconomy and asset prices time-varying?,"
Journal of Economics and Business,
Elsevier, vol. 58(5-6), pages 480-518.
- Massimo Guidolin & Sadayuki Ono, 2005. "Are the dynamic linkages between the macroeconomy and asset prices time-varying?," Working Papers 2005-056, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Driffill, John & Kenc, Turalay & Sola, Martin & Spagnolo, Fabio, 2004.
"On Model Selection and Markov Switching: A Empirical Examination of Term Structure Models with Regime Shifts,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4165, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John Driffill & Turalay Kenc & Martin Sola & Fabio Spagnolo, 2008. "On Model Selection and Markov-Switching: An Empirical Examination of Term Structure Models with Regime Shifts," Department of Economics Working Papers 2008-04, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Peiming Wang & Martin Puterman, 1999. "Markov Poisson regression models for discrete time series. Part 1: Methodology," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(7), pages 855-869.
- Christian Francq & Jean-Michel Zakoïan, 2000.
"Stationarity of Multivariate Markov-Switching ARMA Models,"
2000-32, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Francq, C. & Zakoian, J. -M., 2001. "Stationarity of multivariate Markov-switching ARMA models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 339-364, June.
- Mark, Brian L. & Ephraim, Yariv, 2013. "An EM algorithm for continuous-time bivariate Markov chains," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 504-517.
- Jörn Dannemann & Hajo Holzmann, 2008. "Likelihood Ratio Testing for Hidden Markov Models Under Non-standard Conditions," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 35(2), pages 309-321.
- Hu, Shulan & Wu, Liming, 2011. "Large deviations for random dynamical systems and applications to hidden Markov models," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 121(1), pages 61-90, January.
- Olsson, Jimmy & Rydén, Tobias, 2008. "Asymptotic properties of particle filter-based maximum likelihood estimators for state space models," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 118(4), pages 649-680, April.
- Rydén, Tobias, 1997. "On recursive estimation for hidden Markov models," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 79-96, February.
- Dannemann, Jorn & Holzmann, Hajo, 2008. "The likelihood ratio test for hidden Markov models in two-sample problems," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 1850-1859, January.
- Genon-Catalot, Valentine, 2003. "A non-linear explicit filter," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 145-154, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.