Discrete-time approximation and Monte-Carlo simulation of backward stochastic differential equations
AbstractWe suggest a discrete-time approximation for decoupled forward-backward stochastic differential equations. The Lp norm of the error is shown to be of the order of the time step. Given a simulation-based estimator of the conditional expectation operator, we then suggest a backward simulation scheme, and we study the induced Lp error. This estimate is more investigated in the context of the Malliavin approach for the approximation of conditional expectations. Extensions to the reflected case are also considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Stochastic Processes and their Applications.
Volume (Year): 111 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Longstaff, Francis A & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 2001. "Valuing American Options by Simulation: A Simple Least-Squares Approach," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt43n1k4jb, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Arturo Kohatsu & Roger Pettersson, 2002. "Variance reduction methods for simulation of densities on Wiener space," Economics Working Papers 597, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- N. El Karoui & S. Peng & M. C. Quenez, 1997. "Backward Stochastic Differential Equations in Finance," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 1-71.
- Philip Protter & Emmanuelle Clément & Damien Lamberton, 2002. "An analysis of a least squares regression method for American option pricing," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 449-471.
- Eric Fournié & Jean-Michel Lasry & Pierre-Louis Lions & Jérôme Lebuchoux, 2001. "Applications of Malliavin calculus to Monte-Carlo methods in finance. II," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 201-236.
- Bruno Bouchard & Ivar Ekeland & Nizar Touzi, 2004. "On the Malliavin approach to Monte Carlo approximation of conditional expectations," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 45-71, January.
- Coquet, François & Mackevicius, Vigirdas & Mémin, Jean, 1998. "Stability in of martingales and backward equations under discretization of filtration," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 235-248, July.
- Bouchard, Bruno & Touzi, Nizar & Ekeland, Ivar, 2004. "On the Malliavin approach to Monte Carlo approximation of conditional expectations," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1802, Paris Dauphine University.
- Sébastien Chaumont & Peter Imkeller & Matthias Müller & Ulrich Horst, 2005. "A Simple Model for Trading Climate Risk," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 74(2), pages 175-195.
- Bouchard, Bruno & Chassagneux, Jean-François, 2008. "Discrete-time approximation for continuously and discretely reflected BSDEs," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 118(12), pages 2269-2293, December.
- Gobet, Emmanuel & Labart, Céline, 2007. "Error expansion for the discretization of backward stochastic differential equations," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 117(7), pages 803-829, July.
- Geiss, Christel & Geiss, Stefan & Gobet, Emmanuel, 2012. "Generalized fractional smoothness and Lp-variation of BSDEs with non-Lipschitz terminal condition," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 122(5), pages 2078-2116.
- Ludkovski, Michael & Young, Virginia R., 2008. "Indifference pricing of pure endowments and life annuities under stochastic hazard and interest rates," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 14-30, February.
- Cohen, Samuel N. & Ji, Shaolin & Yang, Shuzhen, 2014. "A generalized Girsanov transformation of finite state stochastic processes in discrete time," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 84(C), pages 33-39.
- Bender, Christian & Denk, Robert, 2007. "A forward scheme for backward SDEs," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 117(12), pages 1793-1812, December.
- dos Reis, Gonçalo & Réveillac, Anthony & Zhang, Jianing, 2011. "FBSDEs with time delayed generators: Lp-solutions, differentiability, representation formulas and path regularity," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 121(9), pages 2114-2150, September.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.